Which gear ratio? AWD front differential swap. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which gear ratio? AWD front differential swap.

I just reinstalled my driveshaft today after driving without it for about 6 months. No binding or vibrating thank God!
You can now rebuild the CV joint yourself, using the Dorman kit made exactly like the original. I did that to the shaft I've got in this truck now, years ago when I noticed the boot split. I suggest avoiding the Detroit Axle version of that CV rebuild kit, for now. I bought one last year to do the old shaft that came with this truck. But I haven't done it yet, and since then lots of quality issues have been reported about Detroit Axle. It looks like they may be a new brand on the market, with very low quality parts. I'll avoid them until we know more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest avoiding the Detroit Axle version
Ha, thats funny you mentioned them. Detroit Axle is who I got the wheel bearing from that failed that caused all this mess to begin with!!! I figured their suppliers were likely crap funneled from China. I looked on Amazon where I bought it from and that product isnt available anymore.

I think it is best to remove the cv axles, then drop the diff. I don't think it "can" drop due to the angles of the cv axles. They will not go further outboard, if this is what you were thinking.
The diff also has to go slightly rearward to drop it out.

popping the cv axles out is not really very difficult, a cv can be changed on the trail in about 30 minutes for an experienced explorer DIY'er like you are about to become. :thumbsup:

This will help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/cv-axle-replacement-how-to-pictures.187964/

Zombie threaddddd

couple of things:
All 96-01 5.0 Explorers are 3.73 gears from the factory

Yes any other 97-01 Gen II explorer diff can work in your truck AS LONG AS IT has 3.73 gears
95-96 front diffs are slightly different, they had a vacuum disconnect that will not work in your v8 truck, this is why I said 97-01

whoops 4 year old thread. ah well info still applies

Back