• Register Today It's free!

Front Differental Ratio

sxlvr

Reaction score
City, State
Graham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited
I'm trying to replace the front rotors on my 92 Ford Explorer XLT. When I went to the parts store to purchase rotors and pads they needed to know the front differential ratio in order to give me the correct rotors. How do I find out what the Front Differential ratio is. I've tried looking up the VIN, but it doesn't tell anything about the differential ratios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to replace the front rotors on my 92 Ford Explorer XLT. When I went to the parts store to purchase rotors and pads they needed to know the front differential ratio in order to give me the correct rotors. How do I find out what the Front Differential ratio is. I've tried looking up the VIN, but it doesn't tell anything about the differential ratios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of parts store did you go to? You don't need a gear ratio for rotors.. They might have asked for the axle type since some systems show a Dana 28 plus the Dana 35 but in their error its only a Dana 35 being available.

Ditto, and isn't a 2WD and 4WD the same rotor in front, also?

What kind of parts store did you go to? You don't need a gear ratio for rotors.. They might have asked for the axle type since some systems show a Dana 28 plus the Dana 35 but in their error its only a Dana 35 being available.

Advanced Auto

Thanks for the info, I'll give the parts store another try.

You can also look at the label on the drivers door, for the axle code.

Codes listed here, with ratios:
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

I ran into this same thing at Advance and O'Reillys... I had them pull a 4.10 axle ratio rotor, and the other one too.

The rotor for the 4.10 axles was slightly different. all other axles used the same rotor.

You could get that from the LF door VIN tag, and usually the rear diff. tag.

You can also look at the label on the drivers door, for the axle code.

Codes listed here, with ratios:
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

I ran into this same thing at Advance and O'Reillys... I had them pull a 4.10 axle ratio rotor, and the other one too.

The rotor for the 4.10 axles was slightly different. all other axles used the same rotor.

What was the difference?

What was the difference?

It ~appeared~ that the distance between the outer face of the rotor (where the outer pad contacts the rotor), and the wheel mounting surface was less on the 4.10 rotor.

Wish I'd taken a camera, pictures would do much justice!

Interesting, was the inner pad surface also more inboard, or was the rotor the same thickness. Another member on here has a noise which shouldn't have to do with a new rotor thickness. I might have to ask to see those myself.

Interesting, was the inner pad surface also more inboard, or was the rotor the same thickness. Another member on here has a noise which shouldn't have to do with a new rotor thickness. I might have to ask to see those myself.

Well, it's a little foggy in my head at this point...

I ~think~ the overall width differed on the entire unit, but the width of the rotor (the part between the pads) looked about the same.

It was the "offset" (for lack of a better term) of the wheel mounting flange to the rotor (part between the pads) that stood out to me.

Seems like I saw a thread about a rubbing rotor or pad or something. :confused:

I don't know the likelihood of a 4.10 OEM Explorer then, I've never heard of one. Why would the brakes be any different. Unless I hear a reason I call BS on that parts book.

I know how ya feel CDW. Apparently there are OEM 4.10 'ploders out there, or all the parts houses wouldn't ask all the time. O'Reilly's stocks that 4.10 equipped rotor, so there's call for them... in 4x4 models to boot.
That and there are entries in the Axle Code listings for 4.10 (42 for 4.10 with open rear diff, D2 for 4.10 with a LS rear).

What or why there is a difference rotor-wise, may be one of the great unanswered questions of the century.

The evidence is there that they exist, but apparently like you, I've never seen one. If I do, well... I hope it's in a junkyard! :D

Ford does a lot of dumb things, but I keep using common sense to make decisions.

It's curious that for both of my old Explorers(91/93), I bought about six front rotors and never was asked about a gear ratio. That was between 1998 and 2003 when I retired my 93 from work use. I got most of my stuff back then from Autozone.

Back