Front differential vent hose

firepop5

Reaction score
City, State
floral park ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
96 5.0 AWD
The front driverside chassis has a coating of oil accumulated on in. It starts at the forward attachment point of the upper control arm and runs down the frame and along the frame and torsion bar to about the area of the transmission. I went to find the source of the oil and it looks like there is a tube clipped to the frame above the upper control arm. there is a plastic cap on the end of this tube. The tube was cracked at the clip, and I think the oil was coming from this tube. I cant see where the other end of the tube attaches, but I'm guessing it is a vent for the front differential. Does anyone know for sure?

That is exactly what it is. The vent tube for the front diff is routed to the frame just under the passenger side of the engine and deposits enough diff fluid onto the frame, sway bar, and steering parts to make the build up of a real mess. I disconnected mine from the frame and added a longer hose, extending it straight up the firewall, zip-tying it at several points. A few shots of engine degreaser ( Gunk ) and judicious use of water hose with good pressur made things look great and has stayed that way for 2 years now.

found it once I pulled the inner fender skirt off... thanks

Back