• Register Today It's free!

Front drive shaft removal

Nathan Wenck

Reaction score
City, State
Carroll
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 mercury mountaineer
I have a noise that I am assuming is front axle noise. I removed the front driveshaft to drive without to see if changed my noise. Instead my mountaineer wouldn't move at all with front driveshaft removed ..is this common for an 08 awd or do I have a different problem .Thanks in advance for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure as hell hope not. I was just about to remove the front shaft to diagnose a vibration/wobble type of sound comming from under the front somewhere. Read another thread on here and the other guy removed with no issues, still driving.

What are the symptoms? Is it going into gear? Is the engine revving? Is it trying to move at all?

After removing the front driveshaft it revs up goes in gear and according to the speedometer it thinks it's moving

I'm stumped. I don't know if the AWD is different from the Explorer.

You wouldn't think so. I don't no either .I was hoping someone smarter than me had an answer

I think you have something broken in the transfer case that normally drives the rear wheels. I’m almost sure it should move.

Could that be why my front axle is not happy and making noise cause it's doing all the work

Very possible.

Back