Front Drivers Bearing Noise? Both Fronts replaced now what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Drivers Bearing Noise? Both Fronts replaced now what?

btbed

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone,

Been dealing with a phantom bearing type growling noise going down the road in my '08 Ex. From 40km up to 130km most prominent and has a bit of a pulse to it / revolution. Can also feel a bit of vibration in floor/steering wheel. Going straight always and doesn't change putting weight either side.

Have replaced both front wheel hub bearing asassemblies, and checked cv joints no leaks or clicking around corners, front differential was drained and looked at.. all gears fine and bearings seem ok (although I'm suspect to bearings in there it sure sounds like a bad bearing) and no play in tires on hoist. Also thought it was tire noise at first and just put on 4 brand new Rugged Terrain TA tires on! Still there!! This is driving me nuts and making it not fun to drive on highway at all.

Anyone with any experience in this please help! And thank you in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What tires did you have on before? The simplest solution is the tires are out of balance. It also could be just road noise/vibration from the tread pattern. Other than that, the only things I can think of that are causing the vibration are an issue with the steering system itself, a transfer case problem or transmission issue.

Thanks for the reply...

Tires are good new and balanced ... this is definitely a transfer case or front diff / tranny problem likely.. really leaning on a bearing type noise. Like a rotating grrr. It really baffled the Canadian Tire mechanics lol.

Oh just an update... noise still happening in neutral

I have this exact same noise on an 08 explorer v8 4x4. Some reading lead me to think it was rear diffy. I changed fluid and added friction modifier... only 20 miles driven but so far no change. Noise has occured since I acquired vehicle 3500 miles ago, and has not changed. My symptoms are identical to what original poster said.

Could it really be a U joint? I'm having mine looked at again friday by one of the better guys around... so I will post findings again Then...

Sorry to hear you have same thing Jfri247.

Curious if there are any updates on this? With another weekend comes another opportunity for me to try a fix.

Well after some messing around seems like inner bearings/ carrier on Front Differential. Had it on hoist with stethoscope and everything. Sooo now to find all those separate bearings or a kit. I've seen rear kits but none for front for 2008 Ex. Also can be upwards to 7 hrs labour.

I continue to read about this, and continue to have my head spin in circles. My most recent research leads me to think it may be the transfer case...

I purchased this vehicle used, but it came with a short powertrain warranty, so I am taking it in tomorrow. They have already put some money into this vehicle so I almost feel bad, but I certainly can't afford to fix anything major at this time.

The sound is a whooshing or revolving growl that only occurs when coasting or decelerating. Not sure if it happens in neutral, will find out today.

So far I have changed rear diffy fluid and added FM, checked front diffy fluid (it is full, and look relatively new). Transmission and torque converter were recently replaced at a Ford dealer.

So confused now...

Long story short, in my case, it was the front diff carrier bearing.
Learned the hard way.
I had the suspicious and one day was confirmed when it detonated and broke the differential casing.
As I didn't find a replacement front diff those days, I ended up by deleting it.
NO MORE NOISE! :D But no more front wheel drive...:mad:

From my experience, I recommend change all front diff bearings ASAP.

Wanna read more about this... I also posted pictures. Check the links.

I had similar noise in my 98 Xplo from the same side, and vibration just as you say. I changed all the parts listed below and the noise was still there.
-4 New tires Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 235/75/15.
-Hub bearings.
-CV Joints.
-Differential oil, as no change, then...
-Front differential bearings and seals (outer bearings, the ones that the CV joints seats on).
-Also had new gas shocks, outer tie rods, all front ball joints (upper & lower).
-Energy suspension polyurethane bushings for sway bar and link kit.
I don't mind spending on parts as I do all the labor, and to be honest, I was obsessed with that noise!.

As the noise was still there and after reading al looot of threads here and some ranger forums, I suspected possible transfer case bearing issue.
So, I figured that by disconnecting the Frt diff from the T case,
I should be able to see check if the noise was coming from the T case.
I removed front diff shaft (the one that goes from the transfer case to front diff).
Guess what? Noise still the same!
Noise was coming from the front diff internal bearings, diff carrier or pinion.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361632

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...45#post3018345

Yup seems about right... where I'm at now is finding a proper master kit and have the front differential rebuilt. One that comes up it Yukon kit... lookin to be about $275 in parts. Anyone know of any others....

I rebuilt a 3rd gen Xplo rear diff and I bought the bearings from napa and a local bearing store. First I opened the diff, got the numbers & letters stamped on each bearing and went for the hunt of each one. Some times you will find super cheap prices on ebay on good quality bearings, but you have to add the shipping time.
This way will take you more time but it's a lot cheaper than the kit. Good luck!

My car is still under the short powertrain warranty I purchased it with, so I took it back in yesterday and had the service manager drive it. He immediately heard the noise and pinned it as bearings, or pinion.

You guys are good (made me sound smart!). I'll update on what the specific issue was once they take it apart and let me know. All the reading I have done shows me that a number of people have this issue throughout the span of explorer generations. Hopefully my info will be able to help others more quickly define the noise and attack the problem.

Service manager called and said the tech thinks its a f/l bearing assembly.... im baffled because no one thought it was a wheel assembly... we shall see.

Hey Jfri247...

My advice....

That's exactly what happened to me... After replacing front left wheel bearing/hub twice.. and then front right with new... and new tires, noise still there. I wouldn't rule out a wheel bearing but the sound is so similar it threw everyone off in first shop i had mine at .... get a stethoscope and a guy in it on the hoist reving up to constant speed. Be sure Before throwing money at wrong part.

Also I'm still trying to find exact parts without tearin front differential apart, dana super 30... what a drag.

Well luckily this is warranty work so it won't cost me a dime. If the noise is gone, then sweet. If not, back to the drawing bored for them.

Well luckily this is warranty work so it won't cost me a dime. If the noise is gone, then sweet. If not, back to the drawing bored for them.

Sweet man!! Your a lucky duck!!

Back