Front End Noise Continued | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Noise Continued

gilky1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 EB
Hello again. Vehicle is 08 Explorer, 6 speed, 4wd. 68K. Started noticing a noise from front end which sounds like a bad bearing or knobby tires. Noise continues after: new front wheel bearings(replaced twice in 2K miles), new front half shafts, new tires, brakes, alignment. Car drives out very nice, sound is noticeable starting around 55mph+. Firestone branded shop and owner is close friend of ours, the mechanic does hear the sound but now is at a loss for explanation after replacing all those parts. I suspect it is drivetrain related, I do not know where to begin. I can't find any similar posts. Please advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 06 4.0 EB is making the knobby tire sound also. Starts around 40 mph.
Only thing I have done is a tire rotation, bearings are tight, nothing obviously wrong.
Not going to throw money at it until something is definitely broke.

Don't forget about the rear wheel bearings/hubs.

Do you think the sound resonance is being transferred throughout the entire drivetrain?

I'm having the same issue...Ford dealer said it was the bearings (didn't say which one, or if both). I replaced with aftermarket and it continued. Had tires checked and balanced but that didn't do it. Mine starts around 60+ mph and dies out at around 75-80mph (resonance).

Anyone else have an idea of what it could be? Dealer just keeps saying bearings but I just replaced them 2K miles ago. Shocks/struts? Control arm? Hear it and feel it mostly in the floor board and gas pedal

Just curious, do you have the same drivetrain as mine?

I have a 4.0 V6 2WD

Back