front end clunk???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end clunk????

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer sport 4x4
Sooooo I have a 92 sport 4x4 i get a clunk sound everytime i get on or off the brakes!!!! i just changed the ball joints, wheel bearings, outer tie rod ends, and installed some warn manual hubs with conversion.
this clunk also happens when i'm up to speed and quickly come off the gas (dunno if this may be something different)

thanks in advance everyone! :)

also if anyone knows about rebuilding the sway bars bushings (the whole way to the frame) i need some part #'s so i can get this done! lol thanks again. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could the clunk possibly be from the sway bar bushings you need to replace?

As for looking up part #'s, I find checkerauto.com or autozone.com or napaonline.com are pretty good for looking up part #'s. Unless, of course, you want Ford's part number, which, if no one here has it readily available, might be easiest to get from the dealership.

As far as other possibilities for the clunk: radius arm bushings, shocks and bushings, axle pivot -- just about anything in the suspension.

Some of what you say makes me think of a bad u-joint. You don't say if the clunk occurs only in 4wd or with the hubs locked. With the hubs in Free (assuming they are working correctly), the front drivetrain isn't engaged, so a clunk at this point wouldn't likely be a front end u-joint. A rear ujoint and the noise travels to make you think it's in the front probably.

When you say, "everytime i get on or off the brakes" do you also mean simply sitting at a stop in P (no load on drivetrain) it will clunk as push in and release the brake? Or does it have to be moving for the clunk to occur?

You might check that the anti-rattle clips are installed on the front brake pads, that the caliper slides are lubed to eliminate anything in the front brakes. If there's any chance that the noise is from the rear and only sounds like it is coming from the front, you might also inspect the rear drums to make sure all the hardware back there looks good.

yea sorry about the lack of some info, never in 4x4 always 2wheel drive. also never in park, by on and off the brakes i meant with it in drive and just pulling foot off brake and then giving good break pressure again so moving about 2 feet in that whole scenario. (also the same in reverse) i was thinking the radius arm bushings but never really thought about the rear drums. ill check those too (since i was lazy and had the dealer do the brakes back there, my father-in-law works at the dealer so i thought "what the hell" and already seems like i made a bad choice there) any way......ill check em!
also as far as the part #'s, i find the front sway bar bushing/mounts but i also need to do the bushings in between the sway bar the and small rod that connects the sway bar and the frame. dunno what that piece is called so cant seem to find a part # for those bushings as well.

Other possible noisemaker

Hi Mike,
My '94 Navajo had a clunk that happened almost as often as you describe. A relative was a Mazda mechanic and said he recalled a TSB on the driveline years ago that referred to this as being caused by the drive shaft sticking and then sliding on it's splines. He said it needed to be marked with a scratch for reassembly alignment so that it maintained balance, disconnect one end and pull off that half, clean and re-lube splines, reassemble.
I wish I still had my Navajo and could say it worked, but I wish you luck with yours!

Back