• Register Today It's free!

Front end damage ?

bnewt

Reaction score
City, State
Shepherdsville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LIMITED
Several weeks ago, I had an idiot stop in the middle of the road on a blind curve.............needless to say I hit her. There didn't seem to be much damage to my Limited. No air bags, no buckled fender, just the grille & lower area. It has been at the local dealer for 6 weeks. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow. The dealer claims there was 11,000 damage. I thought the original estimate of 6,500 was high. There have been several supplements to the original estimate, the latest being a nylon gear for the electric steering system. I have never heard of this, nor did I even know that I had it. Any idea what it is & what I should look for when I get the vehicle back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several weeks ago, I had an idiot stop in the middle of the road on a blind curve.............needless to say I hit her. There didn't seem to be much damage to my Limited. No air bags, no buckled fender, just the grille & lower area. It has been at the local dealer for 6 weeks. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow. The dealer claims there was 11,000 damage. I thought the original estimate of 6,500 was high. There have been several supplements to the original estimate, the latest being a nylon gear for the electric steering system. I have never heard of this, nor did I even know that I had it. Any idea what it is & what I should look for when I get the vehicle back.
@bnewt
I suppose my guess would be about as valid as most: $11,000 ? Does the vehicle seem to steer normally? Was it driveable after the crunch? How much is your collision deductible cost? Insurance willing to pay this one? May be too late to do these considerations. imp

The EPAS system is not serviceable. If anything is needs to be replaced, the whole unit gets replaced. If you are going through insurance, I would think the insurance adjuster would have visited the dealer at least once or twice as the bill continued to rise.

What I will say is there are many times that accidents seem minor yet everything is internal and not noticed until you start digging into the vehicle.

Believe me, insurance companies are not going to pay out any more than they need to.

Even after the wreck, couldn't tell much difference in driveability. Can't wait to get it back
After 6 weeks. It better be right

Finally got vehicle back. Had to tighten all nuts, screws, etc. Had to remove headlight bulb and install correctly. Looks ok so far. It was over 11,000 to repair. Totally unbelievable, for such a minor gender gender

Hate to see my new insurance rate

.....................Hate to see my new insurance rate
I guess you don't have the first accident forgiveness part. I had an accident in Jan. 2009 and no insurance increase. Being that I was accident free for the next 10 years I now have the first accident forgiveness back in force.

Peter

Some states, like California, don’t allow accident forgivness.
Hope they used OEM parts on the Explorer. Ive had my fair share of insurance companies try to use aftermarket parts and Ive always gotten my way with oem, especially when my car is under warranty

I guess you don't have the first accident forgiveness part. I had an accident in Jan. 2009 and no insurance increase. Being that I was accident free for the next 10 years I now have the first accident forgiveness back in force.

Peter
I hope you understand how "accident forgiveness" works. It is effectively a prepaid expense. You pay more upfront and they agree not raise rates later (after an event).

I prefer to shop for best rate as I've found those insurers that do the accident forgiveness thing have a premium that is substantially higher than those that don't (usually 20% in my experience in the states).

I think my annual rate ($830) is more than reasonable and many insurance companies I've contacted have not been able to come close. It is because I'm part of a large group of current and retired government law enforcement organization members.

Peter

I think my annual rate ($830) is more than reasonable and many insurance companies I've contacted have not been able to come close. It is because I'm part of a large group of current and retired government law enforcement organization members.

Peter
As with everything, YMMV. I am eligible for many group coverages as well, but always shop it every year and different companies group rates can and do vary. I can't even think of how many groups I've had to become a member of over the years just to get ins discounts. Luckily most groups (like fop) have memberships that allow just about anyone to join.

Anyway, any before pics of the $11k in damage or any scans of repair invoice? That seems like a lot of it was truly just minimal damage to front bumper cover and grill... Threads like this are essentially worthless without pics and details.

What I will say is there are many times that accidents seem minor yet everything is internal and not noticed until you start digging into the vehicle.

Believe me, insurance companies are not going to pay out any more than they need to.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Shops know exactly how the system works. As repair experts, they also have a good idea what it will take to complete repairs, otherwise they have no business being in business. Ins cos are also "experts" and they have knowledge and tools at their disposal that should allow them to accurately assess damages (both visible and hidden). There should be no reason for a final bill to come out double the original estimate other than incompetence. That is suspicious to me.

I'd love to see pics or scans of the repair invoice though as there has to be more to the story.

Peter
@peterk9
Your coverage must be very adequate. I insure three vehicles all with similar coverage, no comprehensive coverage; the annual cost is $1020 for all three. But, I "eat" the wreck, if it happens. So far so good........imp

@peterk9
Your coverage must be very adequate. I insure three vehicles all with similar coverage, no comprehensive coverage; the annual cost is $1020 for all three. But, I "eat" the wreck, if it happens. So far so good........imp
Because it is a lease, I have full replacement coverage on it.

Peter

Back