Front end damage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end damage

Skip Towne

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Any help is appreciated on repairing 2000 Sport front end damage. Needs bumper cover, reinforcement, mounting brackets, grill mounting panel(header panel), grill extensions, headlight assembly's, turn/parking lamp assembly's. The left hood hinge is a little bent, 3/8 of an inch. No door binding, no radiator damage, slight hood damage to front lip. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Salvage yard/pull-a-part or craigslist would be the least expensive way to go.

OR buy an entire truck to get the parts you need then scrap/crush/recycle the rest = free parts and sometimes even a profit. Plus a bunch of spare parts for you = win win

Thanks for the input. I plan on getting as many of the parts as I can at the recycler/pick/pull a part yard. I don't have the luxury of a place to store a donner truck while I strip and part it out. I live in a gated community and they are very **** about the HOA rules. I am repairing my truck at my cousin's place and she wants it finished and gone asap.

The HOA is a rough subject, I bought my white 2000 5.0 for $200 because of a HOA so I can't complain but so much

HOA's...

10 yrs ago, I used to live/rent at a condo complex and my landlord was as cool as them come.

After one month living there, during the weekend when there was hardly anybody there (I could see this by almost no cars in the carports) I do a one hour oil change in my carport space. When done, I make sure that I leave no signs of my work - the area was spotless.

The following Tuesday, the landord calls me and asks "Hey Fast Dave, did you do an oil change in the carport over the weekend?"

I reply, "Yeah Bob, I did - the Ex is my only vehicle, my daily driver, and thus I'm on top of the maintenance. I banged it out in an hour, no music blasting or standing around with beers, and when done I made sure to leave the carport spotless - no spills, oil stained rags, or tools/jacktands."

Bob the landlord replies "I hear you, I do all my own maintenance on my cars as well so I completely understand. Let me tell you what is up. You might have noticed a 72 year old white haired spinster w/ a thick German accent walking the grounds, entering the laundry room without laundry, entering the garbage area without garbage. She's the self-assigned neighborhood "cop" that killed off her husband and has no life. She spends her days walking around, looking for things to nail renters on and turn them into the property maintenance company." "So in the future do me a favor, pull out onto the street, and pull two wheels onto the walkway, two onto the street. Slide under your Explorer and change the oil there - as she can't do squat about that." The cops won't bother you because they have real crime to worry about.

So for the 5 years I lived there that's what I did - everything on the public street. I began to notice the pattern - the German spinster would pop out from a walkway and stare at me from a distance - as if that would get me to stop my work. I ignored her and quietly laughed to myself, knowing that she knew that she couldn't do anything about it...

10 years later, every once in awhile I find myself driving past my old rental condo, and quite often I see her out on the grounds, "walking the beat" - looking for things to turn people in for. Only the good die young...

Any help is appreciated on repairing 2000 Sport front end damage. Needs bumper cover, reinforcement, mounting brackets, grill mounting panel(header panel), grill extensions, headlight assembly's, turn/parking lamp assembly's. The left hood hinge is a little bent, 3/8 of an inch. No door binding, no radiator damage, slight hood damage to front lip. Any advice?

HOA's suck. Little people trying to overcome their insecurities by using the HOA rules to bully people. Don't get me started on that.

HOA's can be a major PITA. I get that they don't want people doing things that devalue their property, but there's always someone who wants to play the "enforcer" and give people a hard time over the most minor of rule infractions, even if it's something that takes someone 30 mins, like a truck delivering an appliance that parks in the street. If they see it they just have to complain to the HOA board about it.

I once bought a home in a neighborhood that had a loose HOA, mainly because we shared a community well. As I recall the house was just a few years old. After about 3 months I get a knock on my door and a guy telling me that I needed to paint my natural cedar shingled house white with black shutters and that my house was built facing the wrong way on my corner lot. I told the guy that I didn't want to paint my house as I felt the natural cedar shingles were maintenance-free and that it was a major plus in me purchasing it. Furthermore that if he and the HOA had some objection to the direction my house was facing the time to complain about it was as it was being built, not after it was 2 years old and sold to a new owner. I then shut the door in his face. I only lived in the house for about 2 years before I got transferred, but that guy was always watching me anytime I was outside just waiting for me to break some rule, which I never did.

After that experience I made sure to never buy another house that was in an HOA.

At my age I don't want to do yard work or outside maintenance, that's a plus for HOA'S. Having a gated community is another one. But that's it. In Arizona they have passed legislation restricting many of the powers of HOA'S. Mostly finical and how the committee's are elected and how they are run. That has helped, but *holes will still be *holes

HOA's suck. Little people trying to overcome their insecurities by using the HOA rules to bully people. Don't get me started on that.
I would rent before an HOA. No one can tell me what to do with my property if I follow the laws. I looked at one many years ago and they said you can't even keep a car on the driveway more than 30 min WTF?. Only a certain color patio set, BS like that. No repairs in the garage, not even changing wipers (Don't know how they enforce that, but if you leave the door open I guess).

They also take $300/mo (now $450), like having an overbearing mom and being told what to do. I don't see their resale value being much more than a house in a nice place.

A RE lawyer gave me advice, he said NEVER buy into an HOA. He said HOA problems are his livelihood :LOL:. They can rack up fines for months sometimes and make you pay many thousands, can even get your home.

I would rent before an HOA. No one can tell me what to do with my property if I follow the laws. I looked at one many years ago and they said you can't even keep a car on the driveway more than 30 min WTF?. Only a certain color patio set, BS like that. No repairs in the garage, not even changing wipers (Don't know how they enforce that, but if you leave the door open I guess).

They also take $300/mo (now $450), like having an overbearing mom and being told what to do. I don't see their resale value being much more than a house in a nice place.

A RE lawyer gave me advice, he said NEVER buy into an HOA. He said HOA problems are his livelihood :LOL:. They can rack up fines for months sometimes and make you pay many thousands, can even get your home.

Yeah, there was an older couple on the news about a month ago who had committed some minor HOA offense and the got a lean on their home and were charged thousands of dollars in fines. I don't recall what they did wrong, but as I recall is was not a big deal. Never buy into an HOA is my advice too.

At my age I am pretty stuck in my current place. I paid cash for it from the proceeds of the house I sold when I retired. My cousin has a 2 acre ranch with 4 horses, 4 rabbits, 5 cats and 28 chickens. She let's me keep all my tools and shop equipment there as I spend a lot of time there doing repairs and improvements. She let's me work on my truck there but I have to be very careful about contaminating the land from any oils, solvents or pieces of metal or plastic. She is totally organic because the livestock eats the grass, the chickens eat bugs and she eats from the garden. Anyway, I keep to myself and don't make any problems at the condo. You can't control what others do, only control your own actions.

At my age I am pretty stuck in my current place. I paid cash for it from the proceeds of the house I sold when I retired. My cousin has a 2 acre ranch with 4 horses, 4 rabbits, 5 cats and 28 chickens. She let's me keep all my tools and shop equipment there as I spend a lot of time there doing repairs and improvements. She let's me work on my truck there but I have to be very careful about contaminating the land from any oils, solvents or pieces of metal or plastic. She is totally organic because the livestock eats the grass, the chickens eat bugs and she eats from the garden. Anyway, I keep to myself and don't make any problems at the condo. You can't control what others do, only control your own actions.

Yeah, I did the same thing when I retired. I found a secluded house on 6+ acres in a very rural area. I can't even see another house from my property and no one can see me, not that it would matter much in the county I live in, other than w/in town there are no zoning rules yet and there wont be in my remaining lifetime.

My cousin's place is in the Phoenix city limits. It is a 90 year old homestead with irrigation rights. It was in an unincorporated area and the city grew around it. Having irrigation grand fathered in allows a lush land scape with grass covered pastures, huge trees providing shade and the temperature is 6 to 8 degrees lower. The rest of the city dwellers are taking out their lawns and trees because of the high cost of water. Those with irrigation are living in paradise.

I watch Live PD and anytime they show areas of AZ, NV, NM and TX it looks like living on the surface of the moon to me. Nothing but dirt and rocks. A company I worked for got bought out by a company in AZ and they offered to transfer some of us out there. We all declined.

Smart move. Pun intended. Northern AZ is mountainous with the largest Ponderosa Pine forest in the world. The desert lowlands are in the 12th year of a severe drought. Things are literally drying up and blowing away. Phoenix has experienced run away growth due to the greed of land speculators who have to keep building on the desert to maintain their cash flow. There's not enough water to sustain the growth and one day everyone is going to wake up and find sand coming from the faucets.

Smart move. Pun intended. Northern AZ is mountainous with the largest Ponderosa Pine forest in the world. The desert lowlands are in the 12th year of a severe drought. Things are literally drying up and blowing away. Phoenix has experienced run away growth due to the greed of land speculators who have to keep building on the desert to maintain their cash flow. There's not enough water to sustain the growth and one day everyone is going to wake up and find sand coming from the faucets.

Apparently the same water concerns apply to much of CA.

Well I think we've managed to get far enough off-subject on this thread, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back