• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise--PLEASE HELP

SoCalJ

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
My 1997 Explorer control-trac 4x4 just this past Monday started to make an unusual noise. This noise only happens while moving and matches the speed I am driving. The only way I can describe the noise is....it sounds as if I have really agressive tires rolling on the road...like Super Swampers.

At first..I thought it was my all-terrain tires, as the noise follows my speed, but my tires are not that aggressive. The tranny shifts fine and the Explorer drives normal. Could it be my front diff? Front diff gears? Transfer case??...(recently rebuilt) Please help me diagnose the problem.

I love my Explorer as it has 156K miles and still runs strong.

Any questions to help figure this out and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the brake pads good?

Most likely it is the cv joint that connects the front drive shaft (propeller shaft) to the transfer case... Happened on my 97 as well as most anyone else who has a 4x4 that I've talked to... 125 dollar part special order auto zone relatively easy repair, or just snatch out the shaft and run 2 wheel drive... If that's not it then perhaps bearing which is inside the hub that will require changing hub assymbly

I have not lookied into my driveshaft yet. The floor beneath my feet while driving 50-65mph does vibrate a little and may be the driveshaft. I didn't know that a driveshaft had a CV joint....i'll have to take a look later.

Any other suggestions would be helpful just to elimate the areas that are not related to the situation.

Thanks

Jack

I had the same issues, however, to further pin point it I took it out on roads with alot of curves, it acted up for when i was turning right than left. I replaced my wheel bearing on the drivers side and it went away,

Check out my other post ... Don't know how to attach a thread link. I guess just click my name

And btw yes the front driveshaft has a cv at the transfer case side and a u joint at the differential. Please note that this looks nothing like any cv joint that you have seen before such as at the wheels. I actually saw a couple of guys get into an argument on here a week or so ago when the owner of the truck whom was asking for help, pretty much tried to tell the person that was trying to help him that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. What the hell son? Aren't you the inexperienced one here... Don't argue with your elders. Just sayin. Lol. Sorry that just kinda irked me and I don't even remember whom the two members were now but sorry I vented on your thread.

Thank you for the help. I haven't had a chance to crawl under my Explorer yet, but plan to this weekend. The sound I keep hearing sounds like teeth on gears humming making a "wowowowowow" as the wheels turn.

The only thing I did try so far..was to drive and shift it into neutral to see if the noise would go away...and it did not. So I'm going to do the standard bearing check by lifting the front end up and wobble the wheels. What do I look for when I try this diaganosis? Does it wobble back and forth, up or down??? Does it click or grind?

Thanks again for any help.

Jack

Okay, so I crawled under the Explorer today and lifted the front end off the ground. I shook both wheels and the bearings seem okay...since there is no significan play when pushing or pulling on the wheel.

What I did notice was a wet area on the drivers side front differential where the front axle connects into the front differential. I checked the fluid in the diff and it was low due to the leak. Could this be the cause of the noise that I am hearing? Is this an easy job to fix? That "wowowowowow" noise can be cool to hear in the beginning, but gets annoying very fast.

Please let me know what else to look for or if anyone else has had this happen before.

I really appreciate the help.

Jack

If the ring gear and pinion gear are worn from running with out oil, only fix is to replace them, there may be bad bearings in the diff also. Filling with oil may help some but repair is needed.
A cupped front tire from miss alignment will also cause a lot of noise.

Yeah, just what I was thinking...the front ring & pinion and bearing. How difficult is this repair job?

This sounds exactly like the same noise I am having. It has been a thorn in my side for a long time. Last night I put the rear axle on jack stands and put a jack under the left front by the lower ball joint and removed the wheel. I had my wife start the ex and put it in gear, no obvious noise. So I had her to run it up to about 30mph and apply slight pressure on the brakes to "strain" the drivetrain. I noticed that the front differential mount that has a rubber mount like a body mount was going up and down on the bolt. What could be binding that differential to make it go up and down like that. I wonder if it is in a half shaft or in the ring and pinion. If the front driveshaft was bent it would be shaking alot more because it is turning faster than the front axles.

Back