• Register Today It's free!

Front End Noise

Andiamo

Reaction score
City, State
West Lafayette, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 SOHC XLT 4WD 140K
OK guys, I need your help diagnosing a problem. I'm chasing a low pitch thumping type, rattling noise in my front suspension. I have a 2001 Ex 4x4 with 4.0 SOHC and 148,000. Never been offroaded. I thought it was the ball joints and suspension bushings, so I changed both the upper and lower control arms, outer tie rod ends, and sway bar end links. Didn't fix it. Then, I just changed the inner tie rod ends today. Still didn't fix it.

What could it be? It makes noise on even the littlest bumps in the road. I have checked all bolts. Everything is tight. It seems there is more noise coming from the passenger side. Could it be CV axles or power steering rack?

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

Shocks?

bearing hubs - on my 2nd explorer and both have had the problem at 130,000 plus miles - its easy to pull one and I recommend the passanger side - both mine the pass side was BAD the driver side just changed it cause was there - dont thing make difference if you just did one side - so start with pass side - most local parts stores have in stock -

Found it!!! I feel like such a retard. Here are some words of wisdom.

When you completely disassemble the front end and hear a banging noise when you finally put everything back together, check the freakin' caliper bolts. They could be loose.

There went a couple of evenings out of my life I will never get back.

Thanks everyone.

Back