• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
99 mountaineer 302, awd, 125k on the clock. I've been getting a lot of clunks in the front end for about a year now and have gone through just about everything and theres still something not quite right. So far I have replaced both upper control arms (switched to a one piece on the passenger side), both lower ball joints, both tie rod ends, both sway bar links and bushings. All of that has been moog parts so it should be good for a while. I also put 2 new timken hubs on it, new cv axles, pads, rotors. The only things that leaves is inner tie rods and lower control arm bushings. The problem is a popping or clunking noise at low speeds that happens mostly when coming to a stop or starting off from a stop. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side and also happens when making sharp low speed turns, but its hard to pinpoint it exactly. I've read about missing bolts/ loose transmission mount causing this noise, but mine appears to be tight although I did order a new mount and will try that soon. Any insight to what could be causing this, could it be the lower control arm bushings, or even the front diff mounts?

edit: forgot to mention that it also has a new oem front driveshaft about 10k ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a shop check the alignment today, everything is in spec but it still pulls slightly to the right. They test drove it and double checked it with no change. Possible differential problem?

Had a shop check the alignment today, everything is in spec but it still pulls slightly to the right. They test drove it and double checked it with no change. Possible differential problem?

I believe it may be the spider or side gears in the diff.

I've had the same exact issue for a while.
Although I had swapped out my housing with a junkyard unit; although the junkyard unit appeared to be in good shape and only had 30k miles on it.

I get the same pop/clunk from the passenger side area.
I have a post floating around, but didn't get anywhere.

I, as you, checked everything else. Balljoints are good, inner and outer tierods are good, control arm bushings are good, sway bar end link bushings are good.

Only other thing I can think is possibly the teflon pad on the torsion bar key.

But that wouldn't explain the pop/clunk during a slow turn; and it only does it when turning right.

A few times I've heard and felt it during accelerating from a stop, or braking to a stop.

But I'm soon to be in the process of regearing some "spare" axle housings. Although it'll still be a while before I pull out the one that's currently under the truck.

Thanks for the input, I have replaced trans mount with no improvement, also replaced axle seals and refilled the diff. It was only down a few ounces so I believe theres very little chance that damaged anything. My next move was to order 2 moog inner tie rods, as a last ditch effort to solve this by throwing parts at it. I'll update when I get those installed with the results.

Thanks for the input, I have replaced trans mount with no improvement, also replaced axle seals and refilled the diff. It was only down a few ounces so I believe theres very little chance that damaged anything. My next move was to order 2 moog inner tie rods, as a last ditch effort to solve this by throwing parts at it. I'll update when I get those installed with the results.

yeah, it's a tough one.

I had actually replaced my rack and pinion a few months ago, and the transmission mount was replaced summer before last.

it's almost as if something in the diff is binding up; and my first guess would be spider/side gears.

Front end noise too! driving me crazy

Hi EMG7895

Please do post your findings, I have a 96 with that same problem (at least it sounds like the same problem), I have changed the ball joints, tie rods (inner and outter), brake pads, hub bearings. and besides the loud knock when turning while at a stop, when the road makes the suspension vibrate a lot it sounds like brake pads that are loose (which I'm sure they are not loose) and its driving me crazy! Have not changed the R&P, the CV joints and have not messed around with the torsion bar keys.

Planning on giving the torsion keys thing a try, and will take another look under there....

If I can find the problem I will gladly let you know.

Help! anyone!

the new inner tie rods tightened up the steering and got rid of the pop, but the clunking and dull thud coming from the front end remain.

With the colder weather the clunking has gotten worse, so i made an appointment to have the lower control arms changed. Dropped it off and got a call from the shop saying that the bushings are all tight and they couldnt find anything loose in the front end. They said they couldnt detect any deflection when prying on the lower control arm, would this be an accurate indicator of the condition of the bushings?

With the colder weather the clunking has gotten worse, so i made an appointment to have the lower control arms changed. Dropped it off and got a call from the shop saying that the bushings are all tight and they couldnt find anything loose in the front end. They said they couldnt detect any deflection when prying on the lower control arm, would this be an accurate indicator of the condition of the bushings?

should be, imo.

please post more on this, have same problem on 98 merc v8 AWD also had same problem w/98 XLT v8 AWD. replaced whole front end as well ball joints, bushings, tie rod's etc...

I have the same prob with my 97 baught the truck and was told the cv joint on the drive shaft was bad and was pulled out of the truck when i baught it. i replaced the joint and put the shaft back in as soon as i pulled off the hoist it started popping like it had a bad ujoint so replaced that. still clunking drives fine just loud ass clunking. it also does it during slow turning but if you accelerate it will stop. so i replaced the cv shafts and nothing still doing it. ive come to the conclusion its the transfercase ive got a lead on a used one for 200 will let you no

Back