front end or transfer problem help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end or transfer problem help?

Blkwdw

Reaction score
City, State
Cowra, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited
Got a phone call from the wife today saying that the car was making a clunking type noise when turning at slow speeds. I wasnt home so sent her to the mechanics to have a look and they reckon the gearbox may be low on oil causing the noise. My spidey senses thought different so when i got home i took it for a drive and nothing. Got her to take it for a drive with me in the car nothing.
Then she pointed out the 4x4 high light was on when it was doing it. So press the button and slow turn either direction i wouldnt say it clunks mor like jolts the car like its binding up or something. Does it in high or low 4x4 but is fine in auto mode. Is this a front end problem or more likely a transfer problem?

Will the car be fine to drive until we can fix it in normal auto 4x4 mode? its an 02 explorer limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless it switched to manual 4x4 high by itself which is another problem, that sounds like normal operation to me. Mine has always done that when manually put into 4x4 and turning around.
Not a bad idea to periodically check the front and rear differential fluid levels anyway as the seals are prone to leaking. Easy to miss if always parking on gravel.
Edit; just saw that the mechanic said "gearbox". I doubt that very much.

Sounds like tx case to me.

Then she pointed out the 4x4 high light was on when it was doing it. So press the button and slow turn either direction i wouldnt say it clunks mor like jolts the car like its binding up or something. Does it in high or low 4x4 but is fine in auto mode. Is this a front end problem or more likely a transfer problem?

Will the car be fine to drive until we can fix it in normal auto 4x4 mode? its an 02 explorer limited.

4X4 mode should not be used on dry pavement, this will cause drivetrain binding.
I would say that there is nothing wrong with your truck. Run it in A4WD except when you really need 4X4 mode.
Next stop: Train your wife to hit the A4WD button if she sees the 4X4 light on. Someone probably hit the 4X4 button when reaching for the radio. (This happened to me before.)

This brings up a question I was going to ask. This past weekend I drove my 2002 Explorer for the first time in significant snow. At one point when driving through deep snow the 4x4 high light came on and stayed on until I pressed the auto 4x4 button. It was fully lit and not flashing. I assumed it was just telling me the 4x4 had kicked in. Am I correct?

4X4 mode should not be used on dry pavement, this will cause drivetrain binding.
I would say that there is nothing wrong with your truck. Run it in A4WD except when you really need 4X4 mode.
Next stop: Train your wife to hit the A4WD button if she sees the 4X4 light on. Someone probably hit the 4X4 button when reaching for the radio. (This happened to me before.)

It done it on the grass as well. The car does have 22" wheels on it if that makes any difference.

Back