2002 explorer will not engage front axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FORDTMAN79

Reaction score
City, State
Summerfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 FORD EXPLORER XLT
I have a 2002 Explore XLT 4.0l 4x4

when I am out with the guys the 4x4 hi and low will not engage the lights are solid on dash hear the click behind dash and nothing.
before first drive of the day I can lock both 4 hi and low strong no noises just the typical clunk into gear IT WORKS GREAT.
after that first drive it doesn't work again till it cools down.
I have replaced the transfer case motor
fluid has been replaced
axles are in good shape
no noises that would indicate a failure

PLEASE HELP

I have a 2002 Explore XLT 4.0l 4x4

when I am out with the guys the 4x4 hi and low will not engage the lights are solid on dash hear the click behind dash and nothing.
before first drive of the day I can lock both 4 hi and low strong no noises just the typical clunk into gear IT WORKS GREAT.
after that first drive it doesn't work again till it cools down.
I have replaced the transfer case motor
fluid has been replaced
axles are in good shape
no noises that would indicate a failure

PLEASE HELP
thats an interesting one. im leaning toward a wiring issue, maybe a bad connection if its temp sensitive. my dash stops workin when it gets hot, probably need to reflow terminals w solder soemtime.

thats an interesting one. im leaning toward a wiring issue, maybe a bad connection if its temp sensitive. my dash stops workin when it gets hot, probably need to reflow terminals w solder soemtime.
I'm going to need to get a wiring diagram or possibly there's a relay that I'm missing.

this one is for a 2nd gen. i think it has the 4wd info, not too sure. just looked at the title 🤣

Attachments

• transmissions-4wd-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 36

Back