Front end piece question (1997 XLT) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end piece question (1997 XLT)

G

gensic11

ok under the truck, directly under the fan and radiator (im guessing) there's a U shaped well more like |___| black piece that basically wraps around the bottom of the fan/radiator.. this winter we had a real bad snow storm and it was really bumpy and i think it broke during some driving in that packed snow.... anyway i just recently detatched it (2 bolts on each side and plastic screw/plug.... is having this piece removed completely from the truck endangering the fan/radiator from anything in particular.. i don't do much offroading although i'll occasionally go on some back roads.. but i was just wondering if it was so important that i'd really need to look into getting a new one

thanks for any input!

G

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i took it off my dads 97 V8s plastic deal after his wreck. never put a new one on. its no real big deal. i say leave it off. we have had his off for over a year with no problems.

I took mine off and the truck exploded. :eek:

Attachments

• gone.jpg
    gone.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 263

Mine's half-held-on with a bungee cord.... it was making an odd thumping/scraping noise one day on the way to work.... both bolts on the passenger side (which have never been loosened or removed, mind you) had disappeared, as had one of the two christmas-tree fasteners. All I had was a bungee cord, so I strapped it up. It's still there.... been meaning to correct it. The only think I can think of is that it might keep the bottom edge of a hot condenser from being splashed with cool water in a rain storm in the summertime, but that's the only practical use I can see.

-Joe

Back