• Register Today It's free!

Front end shaking over 60 mph

Walnut777

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I was driving down I-85 yesterday and my 96 Explorer 2wd felt as if it was shaking left and right, with a little vibration. You have to get over 55 or 60. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Feels as if I might lose control.

I was on I-85 last month and this wasn't going on.

I checked my tire pressure and looked around at my steering components. Nothing appeared to be broken or non functioning.

The shocks are about 1-1/2 years old. The lower balljoints are about a year old. The sway bar links are about 8 months old.

I don't think it is the wheel bearings, but you never know.
What are the symptoms of bad wheel bearings? inner tie rod ends? outer tie rod ends? upper ball joint?

How old are your tires? Also, how long has it been since they've been balanced and rotated? A multitude of things could cause these symptoms. Check to see if any of your tires have "cupped".

Tires are about 2 months old. No cupping or uneven wear.Steering is not sitting level, yet it seems to be in perfect alignment. Been about a year since the last alignment. I do not recall the steering wheel being this unlevel. Not even a 1,000 miles on these new tires yet.
The last time I was on the interstate was a couple days after I had the new tires put on. I didn't have any problems then. So the tires are not on the top of my suspect list.

generally, if the steering wheel is off-center, it needs an alignment.

Back