Front End Suspension Noise 98 Explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Suspension Noise 98 Explorer 5.0

Jaimec

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Ok, my 99 exp 4.0 makes 'squeeky bed spring' noises (front and rear) going over speed bumps at low speeds. I figure it needs to be thoroughly lubed.

My wifes' 98 exp 5.0, however, makes the same noises at low speeds, but only on the driver's side front. It also makes the same sound at a full stop, when you turn the wheel left or right.....but it ONLY COMES FROM THE LEFT FRONT.

My power steering unit is shot, and whining (the 99 4.0), and her's does not sound the same.

On hers, it's definitely the same sound over bumps, or at a stop when turning the wheel (left or right).

The truck came with a salvage title, though I don't know how bad it was hit. It was definitely hit on the front PASSENGER side, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jaime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Safely lift the front tires off the ground and inspect. Noises almost always indicate worn or parts needing lubrication.
Most common failures are shocks, lower and upper ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar frame bushings and end links. Another option is finding a shop that offers free written detailed inspections. Call around and good luck.

Had the same sounds, turned out to be lower ball joints. I thought it was the shocks at first too. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you give everything a good lube while you are down there.

I had something similar on the passenger side and I THINK it was the lower ball joint. Every part in my was worn out so its hard to tell.

At 16 years old, if that joint hasn't been changed, it needs to be. That's really true of every suspension part.

Ok, my 99 exp 4.0 makes 'squeeky bed spring' noises (front and rear) going over speed bumps at low speeds. I figure it needs to be thoroughly lubed.
FYI, there are NO suspension grease fittings on your Explorer from the factory. If there are, parts such as
ball joints or outer tie rods have been replaced by aftermarket parts such as Moog, Raybestos, NAPA, etc.

It's the lower Ball Joints..

If they've never been changed, please change them, for your safety.
I rode a set of original ball joints to their death..
They were screaming in pain.
When I took them off and saw just how bad they were, I was thanking God they didn't pop, or I would've lost a tire, could've killed myself, and others..

Back