Front end suspension noises?

mkd8919

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi All,

I’m hoping you can help me diagnose the problem I’m having in my front end that I’m having a hard time with. I don't think it’s too complicated, I just don’t have a lot of experience with these. I've got a 93 explorer xlt with 109,000. I've got a few odd noises coming from the front, and it seems to be the front driver’s side. The problem I’m having is I can’t seem to reliably replicate any of the sounds, I have an idea when they will happen but I can’t do it on command. First, sometimes when I press down hard on the brakes I get a groaning noise, like something metal is being stressed more than it would like. This is much more noticeable when parked and the engine is off. While driving, the noise I get while braking seems to more of a series of short bangs than the groaning I hear while it is off. Seems to be coming from the front driver’s if not the full front. Second, sometimes when turning, and it sometimes happens along with the noise while braking, I get a “thud” noise, like a joint that is supposed to be moving smoothly is catching, and then releasing with a bang. I don’t feel it at all, only hear it. When parked with the engine off, if I turn the wheel from side to side there is a small bang when going from one direction to the other, it seems to be coming from the drivers wheel. It seems like I have a little bit more play in the wheel than normal as well, but I’m not sure.

I know this isn't a lot but can anyone guide me what to check? I doesn't seem to ride poorly or feel odd while driving, but the noise is concerning.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clunking around the front floor boards when breaking or bumps could be radius arm bushings. Common problem at least on Gen 1's.

I have had my 92 since bought brand new, those darn bushing were making noise within 1 year. replace them a while ago and be quite ever since.

As mentioned the Radius Arm bushings give a clunk sound when backing up and hitting the brakes and then accelerating. You say when the engine is off and when you turn the steering wheel back and forth you hear noise. You must have the key still on ignition otherwise the steering would lock up. We also have power steering so when the engine is off it be really hard to turn the wheel back and forth. So i'm not sure how your able to turn the steering wheel very far easily with the engine off.

I don't often make this comment, but you have front-end issues and not a lot of experience with them. On top of that, failure of many front-end parts can cause destruction of the vehicle and/or driver. I am recommending you take the Explorer to a full service mechanic shop. The kind you want is not a major chain and probably has a grumpy guy with a well-used cigar in his mouth. Be fair and pay them to rotate your tires, grease the front-end, something like that, and then have them look things over. With it up on a lift, it's pretty easy to see what's wrong. Then go from there.

You will probably be faced with a decision to have them fix it or do it yourself. But, let's not look too far ahead. Just get a professional mechanic to look it over. You only have 3 posts so far, and I want to see you make it to at least 100 posts... ok?

I second the motion from Roadrunner - don't fool around with steering issues. We've had the bushings replaced on both of our Ex's and one has had the entire bracket replaced. Not a job that I would tackle without more tools and experience than I have, and there's an excellent (but spendy) service shop locally that I trust completely. Some things I will do (just had to replace a leaking timing cover gasket - without having to pull the engine or drop the oil pan) and some I won't.
The front suspension/steering/axle assembly on the Explorers is relatively rugged, but like all vehicles does need repair on occasion and is only safe if done right. BTW, turning the wheels without having the vehicle in motion puts a lot of stress on the steering system - especially when on concrete. (Something I'm forever trying to get my wife to quit doing.)

mkd -

Actually, replacing bushings and steering components on the Gen 1's is pretty easy if you have the tools and jack stands (not to mention the patience).

As for the noise when turning the steering wheel when stopped, let me share a similar story with my '91 Ex:

My steering wheel/steering linkage/front suspension was making a clunking sound mostly when I turned the wheel from side to side. I replaced all bushings and suspension parts throughout the entire truck (it was about 17 years old at the time). I even went so far as to remove the steering wheel to check out the steering column trying to find the clunks. When I removed the horn pad, I found that the steel plate for the horn inside the steering wheel had two broken rubber standoffs, allowing it to "clunk" back and forth when I turned the wheel. A little super glue and it's good as new and has never clunked since.

May not be your problem, but I searched for years for this and finally found it. You may want to inspect inside your steering wheel pad also, if nothing else, just to rule it out.

Good luck.

Back