Popping from front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping from front end

bkb88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Eddie Bauer
I recently replaced my front rotors, bearings, and brake pads on my 94' Explorer 4x4 and now I am experiencing a popping noise while driving at speeds around 10-20 mph. The sound is only there while driving within that speed range, it is not there while braking or driving at normal highway speeds. I lifted the Explorer up to see if either front wheel was binding up and they both seem to be fine while turning by hand. Any ideas on what could be causing this noise? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are your outer u joints in good shape or could they be seized? Bearings nice and tight and those stupid caliper wedges still in place?

Are your outer u joints in good shape or could they be seized? Bearings nice and tight and those stupid caliper wedges still in place?

My front end bushings, ball joints, and other components are definitely toast. It has been making some loud noise for some time when I go over speed bumps but it has never made noise while just moving on flat ground. My bearings are packed full of grease and move freely with no play. Everything was torqued to spec when I installed the new parts. Can I get by for awhile without having to make repairs? I just moved for my new job and just graduated from college so I really can't afford any major repairs at the moment :(

Buddy it's hard to say from afar. I would jack up one wheel and start prying etc, maybe remove a hub on one side and drive it?

Either way, Happy New Year dude.

Buddy it's hard to say from afar. I would jack up one wheel and start prying etc, maybe remove a hub on one side and drive it?

Either way, Happy New Year dude.

I know man it is difficult to diagnose listening to it in person let alone over the net. It is so weird because it does not make the noise while braking and the wheels were fine when I jacked them up and spun them around. I wish I could just yank the entire assembly from each wheel and check everything again but I am about 4 hours away from my tools... Happy new year to you as well!

i wouldnt drive it on shot bearings,ive been working on mine i road tested it after replacing fuel pump, somewhere the the driver side wheel bearing failed it got so hot it cooked the radius arm bushing off that side.

i wouldnt drive it on shot bearings,ive been working on mine i road tested it after replacing fuel pump, somewhere the the driver side wheel bearing failed it got so hot it cooked the radius arm bushing off that side.[/QUOTE

The bearings are brand new and I have lifted each wheel and checked to see if each would spin freely. I also torqued each spindle nut to spec and checked for binding before putting everything back together. Not to mention they are packed to the max with high temp grease.

I jacked the front end up again today and found where some of the noise was coming from. The drivers side front wheel will make a light "pop" when it reaches a certain point in the wheel rotation. It will not make the noise unless I spin the tire as fast as I can. I noticed that the inner pad was loose and could be moved from side to side. Does this sound like the problem? I was thinking maybe the rotor wasn't perfectly round and it would slightly drag the pads at a certain point in its rotation and maybe move the pad back and forth in its slots. I can't imagine the wheel bearings being bad already but who knows...

Stuff like this thread is what makes forums like these so incredibly helpful...thanks!!!

Back