• Register Today It's free!

Front Fog Lights Not Working

Reaction score
City, State
Adelaide South Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2003 UR XLT V6
Hi All,

As some of you may or may not know I am new to the forum and new to owning an Explorer (and a 4X4 for that matter...)

Car - Explorer 2003 UX XLT Australian model. Looking around the forum there is not much difference between the USA & Aust models, except someone has their steering wheel on the wrong side!! :D

Problem - Front fog lamps are not working. Rear ones, not a problem but not the front. This can only mean 3 things, fuse/relay, globes or disconnected. I doubt both globes would be gone so where would the best place be to start.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you twist to turn the lights on and then pull back on the switch, that should turn the fog lights on. I take it that does not work for you when you do that?

And welcome to EF!!! The other main difference with the Australian models is the shifter is usually located in the center console instead of on the steering column like the US models.

Thanks Limited02 ;)

Yes exactly, the other night leaving work I started her up, turned on the lights pulled the switch out, then jumped out the Explorer to have a look and only the rear fog lights were on, nothing from the front :thumbdwn:

I can send troubleshooting steps and wiring diagrams from my shop manuals but they are for the US model.

Let me know.

Will do Big R :thumbsup:

I had a look at the globes today before leaving for work, could see no blackness or discoloration at all, so I think I can strike the globes off the list.

OK, so far globes seem to be OK, as mentioned above no discoloration to suggest they are blown. Fuses and relays are OK no evidence that they are blown either.

My son suggested the fog lights are integrated with the high beam, something I'll check tonight :scratch:

OK, so far globes seem to be OK, as mentioned above no discoloration to suggest they are blown. Fuses and relays are OK no evidence that they are blown either.

My son suggested the fog lights are integrated with the high beam, something I'll check tonight :scratch:

If your high-beams are on, then your fog lights will not work.

My son and I checked it out this afternoon.

Normal headlights on, no fog lights :thumbdwn:

High beam on, fog lights on :thumbsup:

:scratch:

Limited02, another Aussie user mentioned in another fog light thread that the Aussie models are wired opposite to North American models - the fogs are more driving lights there, and are tied to the high beams being on. I wonder if they have better range or are still for lighting close in front of the truck?

My son and I checked it out this afternoon.

Normal headlights on, no fog lights :thumbdwn:

High beam on, fog lights on :thumbsup:

:scratch:

Limited02, another Aussie user mentioned in another fog light thread that the Aussie models are wired opposite to North American models - the fogs are more driving lights there, and are tied to the high beams being on. I wonder if they have better range or are still for lighting close in front of the truck?

Well sweet, I learned something today!!!

OP - Glad you got it worked out! If it were me, I'd have my fogs run on both hi/low beam because they do add a decent amount of light.

Front Fog Lights Not Working *Resolved*

Well there you go, we both learnt something Limited02 :biggthump

We Aussies are backwards :bsnicker:

And my son is a smart :mattmoon:

Cheers for everyone's help and input ;)

Nice job getting it sorted!! ;):thumbsup:

Back