Instrument Cluster Backlight and Fog Lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Backlight and Fog Lights not working

rrockwel

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 xlt
The lighting for my instrument cluster won't come on (a green backlight for nighttime). Along with that the fog lights won't come on or even light up (orange light) by the switch for the headlights. I can get my main headlights to turn on without a problem, but for some reason it won't trigger the instrument cluster backlights or fog lights to work. Any ideas...

Run through all your fuses and relays (owners manual) then suspect the headlight switch. Know anybody else with the same switch you could test swap with?

I know this is simple, but make sure you rotate your interior dimmer control up and pull out the headlight switch to turn on foglights with low beams.

found the problem. On the factory stereo there is a second harness that only has a yellow and grey wire to it. That wasn't connected to anything. I cut the wire so I could get rid of the harness and it worked for 5 min. Now I'm back to the sam problem, because I blew a fuse (f16 under the hood, "main light switch"). Does anybody know what to do with those two wires (ie connect them, leave them, etc.) Thanks

Back