Front Hitch Receiver for 2006 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Hitch Receiver for 2006 Explorer

bman289

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Hi Guys,

Has anyone put a front hitch on their 06 Explorer?

It looks like the 07-10 receivers are no problem but there may have been some funky mid-year changes on the 2006 cause I'm seeing two different styles for the 06.

What I don't want to do is have to cut up the air dam/valance, etc to mount it.

Thanks!
Bman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2006_Ford_Explorer.htm
E-trailer is showing:
Curt model 31540 for "2006 Model Year only" (difficulty 5 out of 10)
This model attaches with 6 vertical bolts (4 existing holes/slots, and 2 which you drill).

Curt model 31545 for "2006.5 Mid-Year Model only" (difficulty 4 out of 10)
This model attaches with 2 vertical bolts and 4 horizontal bolts (all existing holes/slots).
Because there is vertical and horizontal elements, this increases the difficulty/time slightly.

The fact that they offer a model for '06 and '06½ seems to imply you WON'T have to cut up anything as long as you order the right model. Look at the link, and click on the appropriate hitch, and you will find a .pdf link for the "Installation details" on the right about halfway down the page.

From what I can see in the instructions, the frames are drilled differently, and that's how you can tell if you have a mid-year model or not. The '06 will have 2 existing slots on the bottom of each frame rail. These are the 4 existing mounting points, and you will simply drill 2 more behind them after the hitch is in place. There is also a large hold on the outside of the frame for fishing the carriage bolts, but it looks like there are no corresponding hole on the inside.

If you only see 1 existing slot on the bottom of each frame rail, and the side hole goes thru the inside and outside fo the frames, I think you have the '06½.

Study those install instructions for a while, and you will see what I mean.

Thanks Brakeman,

From all the info I've found it looks like you're right - two different models for the 2006.

I'll be crawling under tonight to see which one I have (leave it to me to have the weird model with two different types - :) )

Anyone put one on and had to modify valance or air dam?

Thanks again!
Bman

I'll take a look at my Mounty to see what I have, too. Just for reference.

Looks like the 2006 mid-year changed hole patterns on the front of the frame. Mine's the newer style (2006.5-2010) with the single vertical bolt hole. Just something to keep an eye out for if anyone ever puts one on.

I guess nobody here's ever installed a front hitch on a 2006-2010 Explorer though? Still wondering if any trimming of air dam is needed...

Thanks

If the instructions from e-trailer do not call for trimming (and they don't), then you should not need to trim anything.

Back