Tow hitch receiver for 2011 XLT model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hitch receiver for 2011 XLT model

sboy

Reaction score
City, State
Antipolo City, Philippines; working in UAE
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT 4x4
Hi guys, we are trading in our 2009 explorer XLT to 2011 model by this month here in UAE.
I am concerned about the tow hitch receiver if it is available on the 2011 XLT's, because I bought a bike rack which is connected to the hitch.

Can somebody help me with this one? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same question, and my dealer told me that you couldn't get a simple factory installed receiver hitch...only the full tow package. Now I didn't pursue it, so maybe he was wrong. I just figured I'd get a third-party hitch for my bike rack installed later. Haven't done it yet though.

If you have the ability to purchase or order one, I would with the tow package. So much to gain for the low price, I ordered but never intended towing a boat and next thing you know I'm hauling 4400lbs. I know you only need it for a bike rack but it so limited on how much you can pull with the added hitch. The OEM one is so intergrated and high mounted underneath the rear bumper. I would be worth the wait and money believe me. You'll have all the extras and options for when you need to move some heavy loads or equipment. My two cents.

If you have the ability to purchase or order one, I would with the tow package. So much to gain for the low price, I ordered but never intended towing a boat and next thing you know I'm hauling 4400lbs. I know you only need it for a bike rack but it so limited on how much you can pull with the added hitch. The OEM one is so intergrated and high mounted underneath the rear bumper. I would be worth the wait and money believe me. You'll have all the extras and options for when you need to move some heavy loads or equipment. My two cents.

Ditto, get it already installed.

It is also a good deal from the perspective that you also get a bigger radiator and engine oil cooler, which should extend your engine life.

Hi guys, 2011 explorers are already in the showrooms here in UAE. Unfortunately, the stock XLT's doesn't have a tow hitch receiver unless we have ordered tow package. We have asked the salesman for the amount of installing it on our XLT from the ford company. Awaiting for their reply.

I would honestly just order one...here is why. Here in the states trying to get anything done for a 2011 Ford Explorer is a pain in the ass. Techs are not fully familiar with them and I'm sure that salesman will get with there lead parts guy and then have to order every single piece...I also don't see you getting the bigger radiator or select tranny.

With that said, your brand new Explorer will be a guinea pig for them to work on....

If you plan on only towing 2000lbs below than sure I'd say why not add a hitch, anything over that you might run into decreased engine life and or tranny life.

Also are you getting a 4WD or a front wheel drive?

The other deal is if the dealer does the install it could be you only get wiring for a 4 pin as opposed to 7 and 4 pin thats nicely intergrated to the class III hitch and also don't forget you have to get a new rear bumper put on that has a detachable center piece that conceals the hitch when not in use. Which I extremely like due to the moisture in the weather here were I live.

Of course this is if you go with the OEM hitch....just food for thought.

Cha Ching at the end, when it would have been a very well worth $500 option and put on from the factory day one.

Thanks for the advice TIO M.
We are getting the 4WD XLT. We just need the hitch for our bike rack and not towing more than 2000 lbs.

We haven't receive a reply from the company yet but I hope everything will work well.

Well good luck and hope it does work out for you... I have seen some hitches that can go on w/o the need to change rear bumper covers it just sits very low centered. Kinda akward to me.

But I understand they are there and probably a good deal on them too! I hope for you.!

Back