Front left end thump/knocking sounds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front left end thump/knocking sounds

daxb

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Xlt 5.0
So I just had my front brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced last week (Tues).

This week, I noticed (yesterday), driving in the snow that I've got a bump sound whenever I hit rough pavement/bumps in the road. It has gotten worse, tonight on my drive home it sounded worse. Its a combination thump/rattle/knocking when that happens. AND when I give the brakes a sharp tap, I get the thump/knock too. Definitely sounds like it's coming from front left axle/wheel area. Any ideas?

It sort of sounds like a problem I had summer 2001 - ended up having the lower ball joints replaced and that problem went away. I hope it's not that again, that's way to soon to replace that crap again.

Front suspension has otherwise seemed fine, although I haven't replaced it since I bought used in Dec. '99. Back left shock is leaking and needs replacement, but shouldn't have anything to do w/ front right, correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

er, make that last statement, rear left shock leak should have nothing to do w/ front left noise.

Wheel bearings

Have you checked your wheel bearings yet?

Sometimes they will knock, thump, and make all matter of raket rather than squeeling once they begin to go out.

This exact thing happened to me, and it turns out they didn't tighten the brake caliper to the hub/spindle whatever. A bolt was working loose, and it rattled and banged like crazy.

bshmaster: Is this something I could do myself? I'd hate to be driving there and the bolt come out.

Yeah, I just took the front left tire off, looking for the noise. When I grabbed the caliper and shook it, there was like 1/10 inch of play. So I felt around for the bolts that hold it on to the spindle, and one was not tightened down. I just got a socket and torqued it down. No more rattle.

Back