Front Lower Strut Bolt Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Lower Strut Bolt Replacement

Kevin Varnes

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have searched around, but haven't found the answer I am looking for although I have found many people with the same problem. I am working on a 2002 Explorer 2WD. I replaced the rear struts easy no problem. Moving on to the front struts. I started on the driver's side and what I feared might happen has. The front lower strut mount bolt is frozen in the bushing. Having lived in Michigan I've dealt with this before on other cars and it usually involves cutting the bolt. On my Thunderbirds there is (or was) a readily available replacement lower bolt available through the aftermarket. I seem to recall having to do some searching to find it since they call it something goofy. Does anyone know if such a creature exists for the Explorer? I'm not a big fan of just using a hardware store bolt especially since this is a friend's vehicle. I'd also prefer not to have to buy it from $Ford$ if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha. $12 doesn't seem too unreasonable. I was looking them up last night (probably through one of your responses) and I was seeing prices of $25-$27 which just seemed ridiculous. In the meantime I'll have to dig through my junk out in the garage to see what they called that bolt for my Thunderbirds. If I find an aftermarket solution I'll post it up. Usually Dorman is pretty good at that kind of stuff, but a search of their website yielded nothing.

I believe it's 10.9 bolt. Fairly heavy duty. Torque is listed at 258 lbs. If anyone you like is driving it, I'd buy the bolt from the dealer. I've found that the "stealerships" have fairly decent pricing on these items. $26 is worth your peace of mind.

I'm all about using the proper hardware and I did order some from a dealer, but $26 for a bolt is ridiculous. I found some online for $11 and change from Tousley as FordFool recommended.

Back