Front Passenger Tire

ThainC

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey,

If anyone has ever read one of my question threads, they typically see me asking about a rattle like sound I hear from my front passenger tire. Doesn't matter what the original question is, I usually add this one in for hoping.

Well - I've something to add to the problem, that I hope (Please) might give someone an idea of what I should check.

The sound is a rattle of some sort, only coming from the specified tire. I hear it when ever I hit bumps - though no always, and sometimes even the smallest of bumps triggers it. When I got home from school today (about 5 minutes ago...) I took a look at the tire (In the dark...) hoping to see if maybe one of those balance weights were loose - basically, I was just getting even more desperate.

So what do I do as a last resort? I kick the tire. Wow. I heard the weirdest noise. Some type of vibration like noise. So I kick it again - the back part of the tire. There it is again - I kick the front part of the tire - still there, but barely... No other tire, when properly stimulated with ones foot, produces this noise.

Anyone have a thought? It's a mechanical like noise - a vibration like sound that lasts a second. I've had my RA bushings replaced hoping it would cure the sound... No Luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad S. Thain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a solution.......dont kick the tire!! :) What else have you had replaced?

Yeah... never thought of that ;o)

Wel - the noise has been there for some time. But... I've had the brake pads replaced, the RA Bushings, and what ever that piece of metal is that crosses between the RA bushings. Was cracked. Other than that... nothing in the front suspension. Some Monroe shocks were installed at some point.

Hrm - Also had the upper and lower ball joints replaced.

Is this really that unique of a problem? Has no one ever experienced it? Or have any suggestions for what to do?

Just trying to avoid another trip to the mechanics... the first one which obviously didn't fix anything...

how about replacing that tire with your spare? mabey some goon dropped something in there when they mounted it

Yeah... Maybe - Either way, I'll take the tire off. There has to be more to this... I just don't want to be driving and WHAM - There goes my tire.

Eh - I'll just take it to a mechanic. Thanks for the help though.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but if the brake dust shield were loose/cracked, it could conceivably rattle/vibrate. Could your rattle be described as sheet metal on something? Wouldn't necesarily take long to check, may not even have to remove the tire. In case you ask, the dust shield bolts to the knuckle behind the rotor.

Hrm... That's a good possibility. It sounds like a metal like rattle... I just had my front pads changed though... think they wound have noticed that. I'll take a look if I can find the part (Not sure where it is - even with your description. Alas... I'm still learning - though I still regret not just changing the pads myself).

Back