• Register Today It's free!

Front rotor removal

darkwish

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm having a difficult time removing the front rotor on a '98 XLT

Do I need to remove the center to nut to remove the rotor? It won't budge at all. All that I have read gave me the impression that the rotor should just pull right off.

I have tried hammering, prying it and it won't budge at all. I'm currently letting it soak with some PB Blaster.

rotor.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

darkwish said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm having a difficult time removing the front rotor on a '98 XLT

Do I need to remove the center to nut to remove the rotor? It won't budge at all. All that I have read gave me the impression that the rotor should just pull right off.

I have tried hammering, prying it and it won't budge at all. I'm currently letting it soak with some PB Blaster.

rotor.jpg

NO you do NOT!!! Al, that's not a picture of a 2wd. On the 4x4, you do NOT have to remove the spindle nut. The rotor separates from the hub (or at least it's supposed to...). The back side of the rotor tends to rust to the front side of the hub flange. A BFH, heat-wrench, large 3-jaw puller, or all three may be necessary to remove it.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
NO you do NOT!!! Al, that's not a picture of a 2wd. On the 4x4, you do NOT have to remove the spindle nut. The rotor separates from the hub (or at least it's supposed to...). The back side of the rotor tends to rust to the front side of the hub flange. A BFH, heat-wrench, large 3-jaw puller, or all three may be necessary to remove it.

-Joe

Joe is indeed correct. My bad; didn't look closely at the pic. Sorry for the mistake on my part.

yeah, def. don't need to remove it. If nothing else works and you have a good jack, you can lower it slowly to the ground start the truck and turn the wheel. the power steering can apply more torque than your big ####ign hammer

Thanks guys. I'll give it all of your suggestions a try in the morning.

Spray some WD40 (or similiar) to it tonight. Get it around the wheel studs, center hole and backside.

I don't see any hammer marks on it ;). You wanna hit it right where those numbers are stamped on it. Usually makes it jump right off.

Thanks again guys. Came right off today, after soaking overnight with some PB Blaster, and a few smacks to the area sparky mentioned. I put some anti-sieze on the new one so it will be easier next time. Now I just hope the other side is easier. :)

darkwish said:

rotor.jpg

If you're just replacing the front rotor, then you do not need to remove the nut. I just used a small 4lb sledge hammer and hit it between the studs to break loose the rust. It already looks like you removed the retaining clips that were around the studs. Seriously, if you're replacing the rotors, muster up some courage just whack it with the sledge. Good luck! It's an accomplishment when it breaks free from the rust.

Back