Front Shocks: Stock Air Ride. (Yes, I've Searched...) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Shocks: Stock Air Ride. (Yes, I've Searched...)

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hello all;

I have a 2001 5.0 AWD Limited. It has the stock leveling air ride suspension.

The rear end is sagging (even though it has a working air ride suspension, shocks, and pump (for now)) and it also has the 4 leaf stock rear leaf springs. I'm surprised it sags considering it has the 4 leaf rear and a working air suspension, but oh well...

I kind of want to keep the air ride suspension for when I tow and have cargo in the rear of the car weighing it down. And I understand that the rear air shocks are controlled via the pump. I was going to get new OEM replacement leafs for the back and get some new monroe air shock replacements. I believe monroe is the only company that makes direct replacement shocks anyways.

But what about the front shocks? Are all front Explorer shocks on 2nd gens interchangeable? I ask because I only hear about rear shocks with the air ride suspension. What about the front? I don't see why the compressor would be connected to the front suspension since the compressor pump is only for leveling the rear of the car/shocks when there is a load in the back.

I also ask this question as I cannot find any front shocks for a stock air ride replacement, which makes me think they don't exist.

So are our front shocks specific to air ride suspension like the rears, or what? I'm confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long story short, on a factory air ride shock system on a 2001 5.0 AWD, are the front shocks air shocks as well? Someone told me in 1998 and later, Ford stopped using air suspension front shocks and just did the rears. And if this is true, can I buy any aftermarket gas shock for the front shocks?

According to my Ford Service DVD, you are right. The front ones are just regular gas shocks.

According to my Ford Service DVD, you are right. The front ones are just regular gas shocks.

OK thank you for the information. If they designed it that way after the 1998 models, what was the point of having air ride leveling shocks in the fronts prior to 98? Seems odd.

It doesn't matter what year, the front shocks are just regular shocks for Ex's equipped with air ride suspension. Only the rears are air shocks. Also if the rear is sagging you might want to check the arm that connects the compressor switch to the suspension. It may be out of alignment.

It doesn't matter what year, the front shocks are just regular shocks for Ex's equipped with air ride suspension. Only the rears are air shocks. Also if the rear is sagging you might want to check the arm that connects the compressor switch to the suspension. It may be out of alignment.

Thanks for the reply.

1) I thought pre-99 year models had air shocks in the front as well? I read somewhere on this forum that there was a "off road" option on pre-99 models that would raise the entire car a little bit (front and back) when engaged. It was more than just a rear end load leveling system like 99 and newer Explorers have (like mine.)

2) Yeah it seems the pump is fine (it seems to work and doesn't run all of the time, as it would do if there was a leak or something...) so how would I check the arm on the compressor for alignment?

Ok, one last question that I have been seeing in searches for a long time yet doesn't make sense to me...

When some people want to rip out their air suspension system, they still want a load leveling system so they but some shocks with load leveling springs on them, etc, and NUMEROUS people on this forum say it is a bad idea because the leaf springs are supposed to be the only load-bearing part of the suspension, and shocks that hold a load can do damage to the frame/body.

I understand their reasoning, but no one has ever brought up the fact that the FACTORY air suspension does just this, right? I mean when the rear sags down due to a cargo load, the air pump pumps up the air shocks to level the rear end out. So what's the difference in installing aftermarket load bearing shocks/springs when the stock system is clearly already designed for it?

Am I missing something?

The air will take just a small part of the load when leveling. Same goes for the spring-levelers. So I don't think is bad unless you have rusted parts on lower part of the shock.

Personally I have I have on rear a mono-tube shock with a high pressure gas cell that acts like the air suspension (gives a better ride on empty rear). And that means also that it takes away some of the load. I am not worried because ANYWAY the shocks will transmit important forces during damping - imagine that the shock needs to "stop" the 2000lbs max load from ballancing - in just 1-1/2 oscillation. That involves some serios forces transmitted to the shock mounts.
I would say that 300lbs per each shock is safe.

Would I relay to support the whole weight on those supports? No.

The air will take just a small part of the load when leveling. Same goes for the spring-levelers. So I don't think is bad unless you have rusted parts on lower part of the shock.

Personally I have I have on rear a mono-tube shock with a high pressure gas cell that acts like the air suspension (gives a better ride on empty rear). And that means also that it takes away some of the load. I am not worried because ANYWAY the shocks will transmit important forces during damping - imagine that the shock needs to "stop" the 2000lbs max load from ballancing - in just 1-1/2 oscillation. That involves some serios forces transmitted to the shock mounts.
I would say that 300lbs per each shock is safe.

Would I relay to support the whole weight on those supports? No.

Of course we wouldn't support the whole weight on those shock supports, but I think it's just funny so many people say not to put ANY on the mounts, when the stock system already does so in the first place. I understand where you're coming from.

Cranmaro 99, per your statement: I was going to get new OEM replacement leafs for the back and get some new monroe air shock replacements. I believe monroe is the only company that makes direct replacement shocks anyways.

Suggest you search ebay for the following: "Ford OEM Rear Air Shocks AT688 & AT686G" in which you will find that motorcraft brand shocks. There is also a Canadian distributor, TRANSTEER INC. that purchased a large quantity of these type of shocks that at my last check had only the left available. LOAD LEVELING SYSTEM FITS ANY EXPLORER 1996- & UP FORD # XL2418K004FB.

So apparently it's hard to find replacements for our rear air shocks already? Dang, what are we all supposed to do when they crap out on us eventually???

Thanks for the heads up.

Some of us buy a set of spares. If you look at a manufacturers policy of spares on hand for 10 years from end of production, then buying some for the future might make sense. I look at it as if you wish to keep the automatic ride control (ARC) stock then buy the spares when available or go to after market and lose some of the original features.
I run aftermarket front and stocks in the rear cause of ARC - don't like dragging the back under load and headlights looking at the sky.

Thanks ramrod.

Yeah I searched for those part numbers on eBay and found them, but they said they were only good for 95-99 Explorers with ARC. Did the design for the rear shocks change after the 99 year? I have a 2001.

I heard monroe made replacements that used full utility like the stock rear ARC shocks. Or am I making this stuff up? Thanks for the help.

Edit: We live close to each other. Who knew?

I think the design really changed starting with 2002 models.

Hey folks,
I have a 96 limited - all 4 shocks are ARC. I replaced the rears with Monroe 40006 and 40007 (yes left and right are different). They work but the only difference is that there is no connector for the electronic ride stiffness control. You only get the stiff ride - no more luxury ride once you change them. The ARC does work normally with the lifting part though - self leveling and raised body in 4wd low works like it should.

Replace the rear air shocks with the monroe replacements, get a set of monroe specialty non-electronic air shocks for the front. You can get the fronts by ordering them for a 95 limited. Buy yourself a air lift air ride kit for 114 at jcwhitney. You will have to find some air hose that will fit the air shocks and then press the air hose into the larger air hose from the kit. Look on your explorers driver side door for a sticker, if the front spring code is "B" then loosen the torsion bars until the bolts are barely turned in. Run 20 psi of air in the front shocks, that alone will improve handling and comfort.

If I want to get rid of the air ride system (which I do) what is my best bet?

I only have the rear ARC (its a 2001 5.0 AWD Limited) and the rear end is sagging WITH a working air ride system. So I have a feeling the rear leaf springs are more than shot, and will sag even more without an air system.

I DO however tow and haul, so when I do I'd like for the rear not to be all saggy, but I want to get rid of the AIR system on a budget.

Thoughts?

Wrong.

My '97 Ltd has OEM air front shocks.

Yeah, after I opened my mouth(keyboard.lol) I researched a little more. I stand corrected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pre-99 ford had 4-corner air shocks on the Explorer and Expeditions. After 99 They switched to rear load leveling.

Back