'99 Bumper Thumper (yes, I've searched) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Bumper Thumper (yes, I've searched)

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
'99 Bumper Thumper ?'s (yes, I've searched)

Hey guys, I've decided that I want more light (4 KC lights) and a more stable light mount for the front of my truck. (I mounted my KC Slimlites using Jefe's bracket idea and they bounce all over the road).

I don't want a big heavy brushguard b/c I will be doing a BL.

I've been looking at the Smittybilt Bumper Thumpers (that mount to the bumper/frame brackets ~ I think).
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/Guards.HTM

Rocky Mtn. Susp. or Summit have probably the cheapest price that I've found.

Anyway, I've searched and there's really only threads about these on the older X's.

Anyone have opinions about this setup (I'll probably get the wrap around grill guards too).

I won't be using it for winching or pulling me out, so I think it would be sturdy enough for lights and pushing small branches out of the way (I'm not going after bamby here).

Oh, and does anyone know how this mounts to my truck? Since I have the '99 bumper, i haven't been able to find instructions to see how it would work.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any experience with the exact model, but most "modular" guards (the bolt on headlight guard peices) are very flimsy.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
i have the outland sport on my truck and ill bet the mounts are almost identical. ill get ya pics tomm.

Sweet.. thanks! I saw your Outland Sport. I like it, but I want to be able to mount 4 lights (with them on 2 different centerlines if possible) Like this...

I @@ I
I@ @I

Originally posted by mrboyle
I don't have any experience with the exact model, but most "modular" guards (the bolt on headlight guard peices) are very flimsy.

Aren't the Westin and Manik ones modular?

Originally posted by HokieBert
Sweet.. thanks! I saw your Outland Sport. I like it, but I want to be able to mount 4 lights (with them on 2 different centerlines if possible) Like this...

I @@ I
I@ @I
well actually, with mine you can do that. if i get a chance this weekend i will take my fogs off the roof to show you, but there are 6 holes total in my bar for lights:D

You can have the lights at 2 different heights with yours? Or can you have them in a quad setup with all of them lined up in a row?

Most manufacturers make both modular and fully welded guards. The welded guards are 100% more solid than the modular. The modular designs are good for looks, but they have no real strength.

Originally posted by HokieBert
You can have the lights at 2 different heights with yours? Or can you have them in a quad setup with all of them lined up in a row?
yeah, you can do it like tiered. its hard to explain, but you can have 2 lights on top, and 4 under the bar.

yeah, you can do it like tiered. its hard to explain, but you can have 2 lights on top, and 4 under the bar.

Like this? Would this setup work if you had a license plate on there? It doesn't look like there's room (stupid VA Laws requiring a front license plate)

Attachments

• tarheel\'s truck.jpg
    tarheel\'s truck.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 344

yeah, its pretty much like that, but the bottom lights are about 2-3" in both directions from the top lights. an i think its set up so that you can use a front license plate.

Yeah, I doubt I could get this work b/c I have to have the license plate there... Doesn't look like there's enough room to me.

Guess its time to call Smittybilt! Thanks Tarheel.. If you're feeling really ambitious, could you measure the width of the cross bars (between the 2 vertical mounts). You don't need to mess with moving your fog lights around, I wouldn't ask you to do that much work.

Attachments

• tarheel\'s truck2.jpg
    tarheel\'s truck2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 339

yep, ill measure things up for you tomm. and give you some measurements.

Sweet! Do you think KC Daylighters would be too deep for this setup? (On the top or the bottom)

just a thought about the bumper thumper... (I know its a Dodge, the only pic I could find)

14229bumper_thumper_-_4_lights.jpg

All I would have to do is cut off the existing light tabs and have 4 new ones welded on, which shouldn't be too hard. Also, 6" lights will fit better b/c these Black Magics are huge (7 3/8" diameter).

And the Bumper Thumper center piece can be bought as 1 piece (which would be alot stronger)

alright, i didnt measure for you, but i stuck on an extra Hella 500 housing on my bar and put on my license plate holder. it should work just fine with a license plate on the front and 4 lights. here ya go

Attachments

• mvc-036f.jpg
    mvc-036f.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 296

Just called Smittybilt, they say that the Bumper Thumper and the Outland Sport bar both mount the same way, so now I'm trying to figure out how to modify that design to work with a Body Lift...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also like to know how to mount the thumper with a body lift. I've been looking for something like the thumper for a while. If the thumper dosent work, could I just put lights directly on the bumper. Hope we get our answer.

Back