• Register Today It's free!

Front Suspension Wobble

AMattF

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
2008 Explorer 4x4, the front suspension has just recently picked up an odd, intermittent wobble. No noises or anything else. It's not very noticeable beyond the steering wheel feedback. Any insights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack up one front wheel and try to move the wheel holding it at 6 and 12 o clock and at 3 and 9 o clock. If there’s play at 3 and 9, take a look at your tie rod ends, if there is play in them or if the bushings are torn. If they look ok and have grease fittings I’d grease them up. If there is play at 6 and 12 I would look at your upper and lower control bushings to the frame and the ball joints themselves. If it moves no matter where you grip it, it could be the bearing .You can use a pry bar on these parts to get an idea how much play they have while driving and if it’s worth replacing them. but this issue could be other things like a rear wheel bearing going bad, swAy bar To frame bracket bushings being worn out, maybe a problem with the cv axle or an issue with the tires.
ive had 5 explorers, three of them 3rd generation. Tie rods inner and outer are easy to replace, use a pipe wrench for the inner. Upper control arm is easy to replace, use a Pittman arm puller to separate the ball joint from the knuckle, takes a bit to finagle the control in and out of the engine bay through the wheel well, there are a couple flimsy plastic parts on the driver side be careful not to break them. If it’s the bearing just replace the hub assembly much cheaper and easier than having a mechanic replace the bearing.

mine got a really bad wobble over 50mph and i couldn't figure it out.... found out my tpms sensor blew apart.... i looked at everything else before finding this.... question is do you think its a off balance kind of wobble or a sloppy steering kind of wobble

I don't think it's an off-balance wobble. Wouldn't that get worse with higher speed? I'm going to run through the tests Tommylee mentioned and see if it turns anything up.

It will need new tires soon enough, so if it's a balance thing, that should be resolved with the mount and balance part of that.

Any front end work done recently? Possible the wheels were turned with the engine NOT running? Steering wheel shudder caused by aerated power steering fluid (Mercon V) is a very common issue and the fix is driving slow while turning the steering wheel lock to lock until the shaking subsides.

Any front end work done recently? Possible the wheels were turned with the engine NOT running? Steering wheel shudder caused by aerated power steering fluid (Mercon V) is a very common issue and the fix is driving slow while turning the steering wheel lock to lock until the shaking subsides.
ive never had a problem with this until i got my 1998 and turned the wheels with the engine off and i thought i was going to die went home couldn't find the problem and it went away on its own now i always check for pink foam in my power steering fluid

When I bought it, the seller replaced the passenger wheel bearing. They might have done something while making the replacement. The guy they had do it was a Ford master tech, so I imagine the repair was done right. I appreciate all of the help and guidance. I'll update you when/if I find something. Luckily, it's not my daily driver right now, so I have a bit of time cushion.

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the TPMS. The band which attaches it to the wheel broke, which let the sensor float around inside the tire. Every time I slowed down, the sensor would move, which changed the balance of the tire. It would get better and worse. Jack the front up and spin the tire slowly. You should be able to hear it moving inside the tire. I replaced all of them with aftermarket valve stem type sensors. Never going to have that happen again!

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the TPMS. The band which attaches it to the wheel broke, which let the sensor float around inside the tire. Every time I slowed down, the sensor would move, which changed the balance of the tire. It would get better and worse. Jack the front up and spin the tire slowly. You should be able to hear it moving inside the tire. I replaced all of them with aftermarket valve stem type sensors. Never going to have that happen again!
that happened on mine just after a 1,000 mile vacation week and couldn't figure out why the front felt so bad but once i removed the wheel i could hear something bouncing around in there... broke the bead pulled out all the carnage and refilled tire and all was good

that happened on mine just after a 1,000 mile vacation week and couldn't figure out why the front felt so bad but once i removed the wheel i could hear something bouncing around in there... broke the bead pulled out all the carnage and refilled tire and all was good
Mine happened while I was ON vacation!!! I had to find a Mavis Tire to get it removed.

Turns out, it was the tires themselves. The rubber was hard enough that it wasn't rolling smooth. Replaced all 4, wobble is gone. Go figure...

Back