How to make low beams run with high | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make low beams run with high

I love my mail lady she is like clockwork
My wife and I put cookies in the mailbox when we make them

I used my high beam power wire to power a relay
This way when she cuts off the high beams the light bar goes off to
I also put in a manual off switch so she can turn off the bar all together
That's all we good people are asking for, the others who don't care, they have to have a reason to do the right thing.

Do you know what else is hard to work with at night, white strobe lights. Some school buses drive with their one rooftop strobe light on all of the time. Mail vehicles often have them mounted around the back. I have never driven with mine on, but a have turned them on briefly about three times, can you say tailgating?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, it's not hard to think up some simple wiring to handle stuff like that. I have a backup alarm on my primary pail truck(my 99). I have switches for the added circuits, for the strobe lights and the alarm. So I can turn off that alarm if I want to, to be quieter, or have it function in parking lots like the grocery store. Simple OEM relays are easy to add into existing OEM relay boxes or the small modular ones spread throughout these late 90's Fords.

I've got one in my old 95 Crown Vic that I put almost everything into, it's an OEM power distribution box. I had one broken one, and another that cost $15 complete(cut off nearby, with fuses and relays inside). I might remove that soon when I sell the car, can you tell which it is below;

95CVPowerDbox01.JPG

95CVPowerDbox02.JPG

I want to possibly put spider halos in my 2000 explorer but Idk how to make low beams run with high I've heard that's the best to do? Any write ups, help would be appreciated.
Just go with the Spyder Halos stock, you won't regret it!

But there are no laws that stop people from abusing others by blasting lots of bright lights, or the fake fog lights they leave on constantly, which most cars have.

?? That is completely wrong. It is illegal in every state to attempt to blind others by "blasting lots of bright lights" and in many states, you can't alter your headlights nor run an aux light at all in addition to it, with the exception being a couple of fog lights.

In most states you can't even leave your high beams on without it being illegal, once within a certain distance of another driver.

Besides what states limit, there is a federal limit that applies to every state.

The easiest way to consider it is, if you have anything other than the stock DOT approved lights on and only low beam when you are near another vehicle, it's illegal. The problem is that law enforcement is a mostly a bunch of corrupt jackarses on a power trip that think they are entitled to selectively enforce the law instead of applying it uniformly and fairly at all times, so two different vehicles, with same lights, but different driver or area, one my be pulled over for it and the other not, when they should ALL be stopped, and vehicle towed if it's a mod that can't be left off for the remainder of the drive.

The irony is that some people think it makes them look cool or elite when it just pisses other drivers off.

If someone's lights are blinding you, the most idiotic thing possible is to try to return the favor (flashing high beams for a moment to let them know being a different, possibly helpful thing in some instances) so you have now doubled the number of people blinded and posing a safety problem because now even more people can't see. It might be fine in a rural area but once in the city where there pedestrians, pets, or who knows what in the road ahead, it's not a good outcome to blind that other guy and then he plows into something or someone!!! Even in a rural area, deer, cows, etc, it's just a jerk thing to do and doesn't change the behavior of the person who chose illegal front lights, just makes it worse.

Flashing someone is a thing done when someone forgets their high beams are on, but doesn't "teach" a lesson to anyone who went to extra measures to make their lighting illegal in the first place.

Can't figure out how to delete a message, so I'll just leave this text here

here

7D6FF44F-8290-4EB7-B386-B3DDF565735F.jpeg

... The problem is that law enforcement is a mostly a bunch of corrupt jackarses on a power trip that think they are entitled to selectively enforce the law instead of applying it uniformly and fairly at all times, so two different vehicles, with same lights, but different driver or area, one my be pulled over for it and the other not, when they should ALL be stopped, and vehicle towed if it's a mod that can't be left off for the remainder of the drive.

The irony is that some people think it makes them look cool or elite when it just pisses other drivers off.

Flashing someone is a thing done when someone forgets their high beams are on, but doesn't "teach" a lesson to anyone who went to extra measures to make their lighting illegal in the first place.

I agree, the laws exist but are not properly enforced. I should have clarified that in my post about the laws.

I don't want to waste my time with retaliating against other drivers, that is the job of the police. But they do not do it in any meaningful way, and the vast number of stock vehicles with factory "fog lights", that makes everyone think extra lights are okay and legal. People take everything to the extreme, one pair of extra lights becomes another, and then some people install brighter bulbs in their low beams, etc. It grows and spreads, now very few vehicles do not have too many lights on at night.

But the people that constantly run two and four high beam bright lights, they need input from all other drivers, and the police. If nobody does anything, they will never stop, they will keep doing it, and it will get worse. It's just like the mask mandates, it spread, and now it's an ongoing problem which may never stop. People need to stand up for themselves, and each other.

I agree, the laws exist but are not properly enforced. I should have clarified that in my post about the laws.

I don't want to waste my time with retaliating against other drivers, that is the job of the police. But they do not do it in any meaningful way, and the vast number of stock vehicles with factory "fog lights", that makes everyone think extra lights are okay and legal. People take everything to the extreme, one pair of extra lights becomes another, and then some people install brighter bulbs in their low beams, etc. It grows and spreads, now very few vehicles do not have too many lights on at night.

But the people that constantly run two and four high beam bright lights, they need input from all other drivers, and the police. If nobody does anything, they will never stop, they will keep doing it, and it will get worse. It's just like the mask mandates, it spread, and now it's an ongoing problem which may never stop. People need to stand up for themselves, and each other.
Jesus apparently I'm hated for my thoughts. This was just what someone told me to do with them. I just thought I ask if there was an easy way to do this, I keep my fog lights on all the time but that because I think nowadays trucks HID are there brights,

I have no problem with most lights, about half of OEM fog lights are way too bright and project up into oncoming driver's eyes. The big problem is people who change the bulbs to high beam bright bulbs, and add more just as bright, on all the time. Those are few vehicles, but they are out there every night and everyone has to see them.

The fog lights are easy to keep on with the headlights. There are low current trigger circuits inside the dash, going from the switches to the relays under the hood. All you need to do is find those two output wires and connect them. That will have both switches turn on all lights and the OEM fog lights. If you want to separate the switch controls, you can add a diode to the connection of that headlight circuit. Use a wire long enough to connect the two trigger circuit wires, and include the diode in that added wire. The diode has to be placed so current flows through it from the headlight circuit, and not to it. That will turn the fog lights on with either the headlight or fog light switches.

I have no problem with most lights, about half of OEM fog lights are way too bright and project up into oncoming driver's eyes. The big problem is people who change the bulbs to high beam bright bulbs, and add more just as bright, on all the time. Those are few vehicles, but they are out there every night and everyone has to see them.

The fog lights are easy to keep on with the headlights. There are low current trigger circuits inside the dash, going from the switches to the relays under the hood. All you need to do is find those two output wires and connect them. That will have both switches turn on all lights and the OEM fog lights. If you want to separate the switch controls, you can add a diode to the connection of that headlight circuit. Use a wire long enough to connect the two trigger circuit wires, and include the diode in that added wire. The diode has to be placed so current flows through it from the headlight circuit, and not to it. That will turn the fog lights on with either the headlight or fog light switches.
I don't quite understand what you're saying here? I mean ford was quite nice on our generation of explorer, and made it so if you had the auto lights the fogs clicked off when the light's are off including if the switch was pressed in.

The headlight circuit has one relay and the main trigger wiring that comes from the dash. The main switch on the left feeds that trigger wire, and so does the auto lamp switch if it has that. The trigger wire for the headlight relay is the same electrically for both of those. So that's the one you want to tap into, and connect it to the fog light wiring nearby in the dash.

The fog light relay is outside under the air cleaner. It is also possible to alter that wiring there to turn them on, I think one is an ignition wire and can be used to turn them on whenever the ignition is. That I'm less sure of, it's been many many years since someone posted about that method.

Finding the wires and where they are the easiest to access, that is the hardest part. The wiring it takes is probably under five minutes or labor after you have the tools and connectors in hand.

When I was young, I saw my dad chunk a 2 1/2 to 3 inch steel bearing at
the radiator of a passing truck with all it's lights a blazing!
Now A$$ hole$ are use guns!

As the saying goes "You can learn a lot from a dummy" same with a jerk
for a pops! Our world is going to hell; Do you wish to participate?

participate? I’m going for the gold.

I carry A firearm everywhere I go
.........responsibly.........

I carry A firearm everywhere I go
.........responsibly.........
Jesus how'd this post turn into this. This is as bad as my Sohc post!

Just the glimpse at your personality I have caught through Explorer Forum leads me to believe that you are a fun guy to be around lol:chug:
Thanks
If its fun I'm in
If its dangerous fun I proceed carefully lol

My next project
3year plan
Ford ranger with a 5.0 swap and a big cam
Cool roll bar with KC daylighter lights
Big tires rear diff build
Smallest lift just enough for the tires to work
Bumpers and a small winch
Goal her truck will be nicer than all the guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to possibly put spider halos in my 2000 explorer but Idk how to make low beams run with high I've heard that's the best to do? Any write ups, help would be appreciated.
You mean - you would like to run all sets (High and Low & fogs) when you hit the high beams; similar to when you pull the high beam switch towards you? It can be done by running that relay wire and used the high beam wire as the trigger. -> also running those chinese crappy HID halo lights. On my 3rd pair.. I had to put them in the oven and reseal them each time because they corrode and leak after 1 year.

ford-headlight.jpg

Back