Dumb question: how does a '99 explorer front suspension work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dumb question: how does a '99 explorer front suspension work?

mfilippa

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '99 XLT
Title says it all. I am looking for springs or spring leafs but see nothing. There are no struts, just shock absorbers. The problem I have with it is that it the front is tilted to the passenger side, about 1"+ drop measured at the wheel well.

I am going to replace the rusty sway bars and wanted to take a look at the suspension, but can't find it!

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this question is too dumb. I researched the explorer service manual and autozone repair guides and I don't see how the front suspension works! Is it the sway bar?

Thanks

PS: '99 explorer 5.0 AWD XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it uses torsion bars.

there are metal bars that are connected to the lower control arms and the other end is attached to the frame. they twist to provide the spring action.

This is not the big bar that has the rusty sway bar links, is it? I am guessing that is still the sway bar and I need to keep looking to find the torsion bar...

Found it! The exploded view of the lower arm on AZ repair guides show the torsion bar assy. Thanks all!

Cool, thanks!

Back