Front sway bar link remove and replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front sway bar link remove and replace

esclamada

Reaction score
City, State
KCMO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8
Wife complained that there's a clunk sound when making a turn. Checked it out and my sway bar link kit is busted on the front passenger side. It's so rusted that the upper portion including the nut just fell off and disappeared somewhere.

I was really thinking that it's an easy job because I did the rears before when I have my rear suspension changed. It was already 4pm when I started the job and my estimate was probably less than an hour, well I made a mistake. Both sway bar links are very rusty that I have to cut them with a sawzall. Worst part was that I only have 1 blade and by the time I have to cut the drivers side there's no more teeth on it and Lowe's/Home Depot is already closed (close to 6pm) I spent a great amount of time pounding it out and putting in PB blaster until the whole bolt came out. It was 7:30pm when I'm done with the whole thing.

The sway bar was again a bad design, the whole thing is not easy to remove once the bolt is corroded and fused with the plastic part. Sure if Ford could design a bad transmission, simple things like this is just the beginning.

I replaced them with the Moog kit (better design IMO) and will replace the rears in the summer while they are easy to remove.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.276905402377618.61962.110528882348605&type=1

----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

Just did my wife end links also. She (we) were hearing a clunk here and there. I told her I would check it when doing the brakes. Got the drivers side pads and rotors done and went to the passenger side and look at that. Same spot as yours. Got some moogs for $20, and did both sides. I bet it handles better for her now too.

Back