Front U-joint

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I was finally able to unleash the beast inside my drivers side wheel bearing and replace it but after 4 days I started hearing a noise that sounded like a broken TPMS bouncing around inside a tire or a faulty ebay wheel hub so I went outside and jacked up my front and did some wheel spinning and both hubs are silent and my last TPMS is still in place "removed other 3 after bands broke" and while rotating the wheels the front drive shaft had some pretty goofy play so I decided to dive in a swap it out. I have not touched a u-joint since sometime in the late 90's on a 1985 F-150 and was hoping those days were behind me! I needed various long extensions an 8 mm socket and a T-30 plus the normal hammer larger sockets, grease gun and pliers

this is what I found when it was all done! im sure I had a few miles left on this quality factory u-joint and I shook the rear shaft and had no play so I ended for the day

the needle bearings and caps on the 2 sides were within normal operation but the other 2 sides had no needles and the cap that I lost had a large chunk missing which was cutting off that corner of the trunnion

It did not give the sounds that I was expecting, nothing like the sounds I've heard in the past. This was more like a low speed rattle that vanished after 8 mph and after replacing it I no longer hear the slight bang over railroad tracks and highway driving is much quieter. I didn't think it was banging when going from D-R-D but it makes no sound now and the random pop when trying to race school buses is now also gone! BY the way I am undefeated VS all school buses!

sb2ecw.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that looks bad.
I had one of the caps seized on the same ujoint, and the car was doing lots of humming all the time. I think I even replaced the front hubs for nothing.
$20 for the new one and it was quiet again.

How many miles did you have on that thing?

Back