• Register Today It's free!

Front washer switch fixed!

JonC

Reaction score
City, State
Derby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 UK spec - LPG soon!
So, with much appreciated help from Kevin's guide here, I've just fixed my irritatingly intermittent front screen washers!

I'm going to go a bit further on this though - because a couple of things emerged which might not be obvious if you're not the type to take things apart and put them back together on a regular basis (and I know Kev is!). I can't find a drawing anywhere so it'll have to be done with words.

There's no indication of how or where to prise the end cap off the stalk. You just take a small, flat screwdriver and go gently. It will give up!

Before you undo the screw you have now revealed, make sure your switch is in the fully OFF (anti-clockwise) position.

Undo and remove the screw. As Kev mentions, there isn't a lot of spring tension involved but the switch barrel will come off the end of the stalk and with it, the large spring which provides the washer switch action.. Further along the stalk though, there's another - much finer - spring acting ACROSS the stalk. This provides the detent (click) positions for the wipers/delay). It has a brass 'bullet' on each end.

If you only see one brass part, start looking around the floor immediately!!

If you put is back together with one missing, the switch action will be dire and you risk damaging the spring. DON'T!!

Back to the working end, the contact arrangement is on a white, nylon 'thimble' which will probably still be inside the end of the stalk. Take it out.

Again - as Kev mentioned - there's one contact which looks wildly bent! That's the one we want and it's that shape for a reason. The switch barrel pushes that into contact with the slip ring which remains inside the end of the stalk.

ALL the contacts have little domed areas if you look closely. They're the 'wipers' i.e. the part which actually makes electrical contact and does the work. That's the part which needs cleaning. Fine abrasive is ok if you make sure you don't leave a load of particles behind. I prefer a fibreglass brush. After a little light cleaning, you're ready to reassemble. There should be plenty of dielectric grease left inside - DON'T be tempted to clean this away - it's needed!

You will notice that the white thimble has a rib (key) moulded onto it's shaft. That goes back at a 'nine o'clock' position when viewed from the end and mates with a corresponding keyway inside the switch barrel - and that's what enables your wiper control.

Put the large spring back over the now-installed thimble. Align the barrel with the 'OFF' position and the keyway should match the rib. Slide together until you start to meet the detent spring assembly.

Make sure you go gently over this and keep both brass parts in place - top and bottom.

When fully home, re-fit the end screw and test the switch action - in every respect. If everything works as it should, replace the end cap - you've WON!

Back