Front Washer Issue

tippycanoo

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
Hi all,

I've had a 2016 Explorer for awhile, but haven't posted before as I've always been able to fix issues until now. Hoping someone can help, or point me to another thread that's found a fix for this issue (I can't find one).

The issue is my front washer doesn't spray wiper fluid (and the pump doesn't work/whir) when I press the stalk. The front wiper wipes when I try to spray, and the back washer sprays just fine. From what I can tell this means the 1. the pump and fuse work, as the front and back washer use the same ones; 2. the stalk and wipers work, as the front wiper wipes when I try to spray; and 3. the issue is isolated to only somewhere between the command to "wash the front" and the pump receiving it.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? If it is isolated to the electrical command, what steps can I take to address it? Other than taking it to a mechanic, the only "solution" I've found on these forums is to install a three-way connector between the pump and rear and front washer lines, and use the rear washer command to wash the front and back, as the rear command still pumps correctly. Obviously this is imperfect as 1. it's not correct and 2. it'll take more time/fluid to wash, as the pump has to supply fluid to both locations, but I don't know of anything else that's not going to cost an arm and leg for a professional to diagnose and fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check to see if the front lines and/or nozzle heads are clogged? If any foreign material gets in the line it clogs the nozzles. If you haven't done this yet, disconnect the lines at the pump, then blow compressed air in from the nozzle.

Is this something that just started happening? I had an issue where the front lines wouldn't work but the back would, I opened the hood and noticed the washer lines were pinched between the hood and the body of the car in the far left corner. I just moved the tubes around a bit to give it some slack. But I will say I could hear the pump come on when I pressed the button, so may not be the same issue you are having.

Welcome to the Forum tippycanoo. :wave:
I know the pump is in an area not too easily accessible. At least I've never tried. If possible, can you swap the lines to see if the front works and rear does not? That might show if there is a blockage.

Peter

Thanks for the responses all. As to a blockage/issue with the front fluid lines, I suppose there could be one but the first (and more odd) problem is that the pump doesn't work (i.e. I can't hear it whirr) for the front and does for the back - this leads me to believe it's an electrical issue, in that the command for the front wash doesn't reach the pump, but I'm not sure how to resolve it if indeed that's the issue.

Based upon the last post, it's probably the switch or switch wiring. Pull the switch plug and see of you can hot wire the circuit. If it works like that, then it's the switch.

It could be the switch, the SCCM, or the wiper motor module (it also controls the washer motor including front/rear). There is no "switch wiring" as the switch plugs directly into the SCCM on the column.

The switch's position is read by the SCCM which sends a command to the wiper motor module. That module then interprets the message and turns the washer motor on with the correct polarity to pump the fluid in the commanded direction.

The "correct" way to diagnose is to use a scan tool (Forscan would work) to monitor the SCCM PID F_WASH_SW and see if it is detected as true when the front washer is selected by the switch. If it does, the issue is in the wiper motor module. If it doesn't, the issue is either the switch or the SCCM.

Do auto manufactures really have to make a simple thing like a windshield washer so complicated? Your post gave me a headache.😵‍💫

Hey, these things have become a grouping of computer networks rolling down the road. Process has been evolving for at least two decades.

If you don't have a scan tool to talk to the systems, you're pretty much SOL.

Hey, these things have become a grouping of computer networks rolling down the road. Process has been evolving for at least two decades.

If you don't have a scan tool to talk to the systems, you're pretty much SOL.
I know, but geeze.

No wonder every time a modern vehicle goes in for repairs its at least a grand.

No wonder every time a modern vehicle goes in for repairs its at least a grand.
. Yep. That's why I resolved to be self-sufficient about 15+ years ago. Spent almost that much on trying to diagnose an evap issue on an old Conturd that the dealer botched.

Other than recalls that Ford is paying for, none of my Fords have been to a Ford dealer since then once I drove them home. I still use repair shops for things like tire replacements, alignments, or body work but everything else I've covered on my own.

Do auto manufactures really have to make a simple thing like a windshield washer so complicated? Your post gave me a headache.😵‍💫
same here 🤣 when it comes to stuff like that, pretty sure my washer pump is dead, probably an easy fix... but for now i can just... just kiddin!!! i really oughta fix that soon

1654558044503.png

Thanks, all. I’ll try the advice given here and, if it’s beyond my capability, just use the y-connector and rear command workaround someone else mentioned. Having to replace pumps twice as often myself is surely less expensive than having this issue fixed at the dealership…

Is OP able to fix the front washer problem? I am having exactly the same issue with my '13 Explorer.

The "correct" way to diagnose is to use a scan tool (Forscan would work) to monitor the SCCM PID F_WASH_SW and see if it is detected as true when the front washer is selected by the switch. If it does, the issue is in the wiper motor module. If it doesn't, the issue is either the switch or the SCCM.
I used Forscan to verify that the SCCM PID F_WASH_SW is true when the front washer switch is depressed. So the problem is with the wiper motor module. Any idea where it is located?

Is OP able to fix the front washer problem? I am having exactly the same issue with my '13 Explorer.

I used Forscan to verify that the SCCM PID F_WASH_SW is true when the front washer switch is depressed. So the problem is with the wiper motor module. Any idea where it is located?
Not being a FORScan person I'm not sure what the first sentence means. I'm guessing that the washers work and the wipers don't?

Peter

Do the front wipers come on when the front washer is selected?

Does the rear washer work?

Do the rear wiper come on when the rear washer is selected?

Thank you both for your responses.

I am having the same issue as the OP. That is, the front washer doesn't spray fluid but the two front wipers work fine when the front washer switch is depressed. (The pump does NOT whir). The rear wiper and washer both work fine.

I don't know if the wiper module is part of the wiper motor or not, if the module is the issue as previously mentioned.

Peter

Since the washer works when the rear is selected but not in the front, the issue is going to be exclusive to the control circuit for the front washer function.

There are two components involved: A relay in the BJB that is half of the washer motor's polarity reversal circuit and the wiper motor itself that contains the other half of that polarity reversal circuit plus all of the other logic involved in the washer control and the wiper functions.

Try swapping that relay with another non-critical relay (mark them first!) and test the front washer. If they still don't work, it's about a 99% probability that the wiper motor's logic circuits have failed. The wiper is mounted under the plastic trim cowl at the base of the windshield and is rather pricey.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two components involved: A relay in the BJB that is half of the washer motor's polarity reversal circuit and the wiper motor itself that contains the other half of that polarity reversal circuit plus all of the other logic involved in the washer control and the wiper functions.
I cannot find the relay for front washer in BJB. I only found fuse #4 (wipers, front washer), relay #44 (rear washer), and relay #55 (wiper). Removing these fuse or relays would render each of the affected components inoperable. So these fuse/relays must be working.

I am not sure if it's worth it to replace the wiper motor given the age of the car and cost of the replacement. I might just connect the front and rear washer tubes together with a Y-connector as a workaround.

Back