• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearig Help please

Warrior68

Reaction score
City, State
Fairport. NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Last fall I changed out the LT front wheel bearing / hub assy in my 04 Exploder, it was a bit of ***** getting to the hub bolts but all in all it went well. Yesterday I changed out the RT front wheel bearing / hub assy, this time I broke six 15mm sockets getting the bolts out of the hub! What a pain in the But. The guy at the sears tool counter thought I was nuts, like I was breaking then on purpose or something. I finally got it all back together, and now I get a serious vibration when tuning at very low speeds, like just letting the truck idle in drive and turn the wheel, however at speed it is fine with no vibration. Any Ideas where I went wrong? I am obviously going to take it back apart and see where I went wrong, if I can see anything out of place, or that looks not right, Just wondering if anyone else has this trouble with their wheel bearing?

Thanks Guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard something about when the front end is up in the air and you turn the wheels left or right you can get some air in the Power steering system. i THOUGHT someone said turn the wheel all the way to the right, and all the way to the left.

Search a little about it.

Wow, breaking six sockets is extreme, they are tough to get to, no doubt, but that seems like way too much running torque. Mine were no way as tough to get on/off when I did both some years ago. I think, as you seem to imply, that this indication is linked to your problem, but I could be wrong. Did the sockets split on the periphery of the socket opening, as in very hard to turn fasteners? Were the sockets of high quality?

I am wondering whether or not the high running torque could be indicative of a problem with threading, resulting in not being able to tell if the bolts are seated 100%, which could lead to vibration, but I'm guessing.

Barring a 'smoking gun' I would consider redoing this job (ouch).

I broke the six sockets getting the bolts out, they were Craftsman sockets so they are decent but not great quality tools. The new bolt threaded in with no trouble at all, and torqued the the proper specs with no problems. I re did the entire job today, and still have the problem. I am wondering if when pushing the axle in I somehow pushed it to far and damaged the joints? Just as a secondary check I pulled the lt wheel cover and measured the amount of threads that were out past the axle nut, and its the same side to side, I had figured maybe the new bearing wasn't letting the axle come all the way through.

I am at a loss here, its getting dropped off at the shop tonight, and I'll have them go through it. I hate to admit defeat, but I sweated my ass off out there working on this thing all weekend, I'm done with it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

dont do any thing drive the truck and leave it over night after a few days it will go away on its own its from turning the wheels with out the truck running but it will go away the same way it came but you must use it get it hot and let it cool off problem should be gone it may take two tries but it will clear up on its own

dont do any thing drive the truck and leave it over night after a few days it will go away on its own its from turning the wheels with out the truck running but it will go away the same way it came but you must use it get it hot and let it cool off problem should be gone it may take two tries but it will clear up on its own

Sounds good to me, but is this a long term fix, or will it wear on something else?

its not going to damage nothing it just got air into steering system and it will work its way out its a permeant fix

Ok, Ill give a try, thanks man, you saved me some serious cash!

Thanks for the help guys, you saved me some serious $$$$$ no more vibration after driving it around for a day or so.

No comprende here! Just how does air get into the power steering system while disassembling the hubs? It suggests that if air can get IN, then steering fluid will leak OUT, through the same route.

Is this something peculiar to rack & pinion steering?? imp

Back