Front Wheel Bearing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearing

I have 100K kms on white box specials that have been off road hunting, on lakes ice fishing and from temperatures of -42c to +35c and they are still kicking. Just be sure not to over torque that CV nut.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 100K kms on white box specials that have been off road hunting, on lakes ice fishing and from temperatures of -42c to +35c and they are still kicking. Just be sure not to over torque that CV nut.

Ya the CV nut is going to be under-torqued because my torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft lbs and 184 is spec. Should be fine on the front since it does not hold the bearing together.

The axle nut on my F150 has printed on it that it is one time use. That is not the case on Explorer. Wouldn’t be bad to put on a new nut but I didn’t and it’s been at least 30,000 miles on both front axle nuts.

If you haven’t watched already this YouTube by FordTechMakuloco is awesome for this job. He doesn’t replace axle nut either. My only comment about video is he immediately cuts the ABS sensor wires when taking off old hub and I would recommend removing yours in case you need it. One of my WJB hubs wires was bad and I repurposed old ABS wire.

He says 32mm in the video

32mm is wrong! (or someone replaced mine (on both sides) with a different size). Went to go replace it last night with a 32mm on hand and it was a very loose fit. I'd imagine the nut is probably a 30mm possibly even a 28mm. Luckily the nut was already loose enough that I could remove it with my 32mm without rounding off the edges of the nut, although my socket did round it and slip off as I tried to torque it to spec when putting it back on.

Installed my Moogs today, axle nut is 29mm.

0EE1408A-73B3-4B73-BE8B-610DCF1138D5.jpeg

676BFE43-A10F-48A0-9357-14062821BA8C.jpeg

F21403D6-AAE3-4547-B2A0-50DE5F61C230.jpeg

Installed my Moogs today, axle nut is 29mm.

Wow! Were you replacing something else too? If not you did way too much work! The knuckle does not need to come off.
Only bolts/nuts I had to remove was: 1. Lugs, 2. Axle Nut. 3 Two brake bolts. 4 Three hub bolts.

9k8nj7.jpg

Quick Reference for anyone searching forum for axle nut socket size: Front: 29mm Rear: 35mm

Wow! Were you replacing something else too? If not you did way too much work! The knuckle does not need to come off.
Only bolts/nuts I had to remove was: 1. Lugs, 2. Axle Nut. 3 Two brake bolts. 4 Three hub bolts.
I also changed the lower ball joints. Now I have greasable Moog ball joints at the top and bottom.

To tell the truth, having the spindle out made it super easy to get the hub out. I tried getting to the hub bolts before I pulled the spindle but could not get a socket squarely on the hub bolts and didn’t want to strip them. Took me 10 minutes to pop the ball joints and tie rod loose and it made changing (and torquing) the hub a breeze.

Back