front wheels won't engage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front wheels won't engage

I actually seen one of his t-case today and called him. Pittsburgh, PA. Joes transmission. I spoke to Joe himself. He actually started a panic for me today. He told me I could not use the 4405 08 GA, said the trans would not fit. I am not blaming him whatsoever, I am just repeating what he told me. I have since been told by others that it will work fine. I even got the dealership (2nd time, diff dealer) to confirm it will fit my transmission.

I did not know the yolk ends would come off. I guess i didnt look close enough, and never even thought about it either. The NEWB flowing out of me still..lol!

Thanks for the much needed info jgerhardstein!

I did quite a bit of research on the t-case before buying. I didn't talk to Joe before buying (except a bit through email to verify model numbers and shipping schedule), but I generally figure that with thousands of models of cars out there with hundreds of transmission variations, your chances of getting an obscure question answered correctly about cross-year compatibility are fairly low (except by someone who has actually done this specific swap, such as on this forum). However, the t-case was as described and well packed and has worked well through several snow storms. If you go with them, just make sure that you understand that the $75 core is above-and-beyond the auction price. This held mine up a week. Oh, and run a tap through the transmission mounting bolt holes before installing -- mine had a fair amount of paint in them and had to take it back off (ugg!) to clean the holes out to get the bolts threaded through.

RE: Taking the yoke end off, you will need a fairly large, non-impact socket to reach it. The clearance between the yoke and the nut is too small for an impact socket, and the nut is on too tight to remove without an impact wrench. Also, I'm not sure whether this yoke is balanced as a set, but better safe than sorry, so make sure to mark the alignment with a paint pen or something before removing from the vehicle.

Back