Front Windows stopped working EXP 95 - 4 Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Windows stopped working EXP 95 - 4 Door

T88

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
The front 2 windows don't work. Passenger stuck closed, Driver stuck open and winter is coming on in Michigan :-(

Both stopped working at the exact same time?

Both back windows still work.

With Truck "on" and I press the down window button for driver or passenger I hear a little "click" coming from inside the door, but no action and no movement.

Is this the motor or something else. It has 214K miles and if I could just get the drivers window up for the time being I would be OK with it. If it is an easy and inexpensive fix then a "How to" video would be appreciated.

Thanks to any and all who can help me with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried any of the other switches on each door to see if itll lower or raise that individual window? Cause its possible the window switch in the driver door crapped out

And the other thing, did you check any fuses? Id imagine if all four windows would be on the same fuse, but manufacturers will put multiple things on one fuse and i wouldnt put it past them to put two windows and something on one and the other windows with something else lol

if is was all of a sudden sounds like fuses to me...

Based on the manual they all appear to be on the same fuse and it was the first thing I looked into. Also there is the clicking sound in the door when the window button is pushed so it appears as if some current is getting to the door mechanism.

The switches are all in one block. How would you use other options. I tried figuring out if there was a way to complete the circut but didn't know how to do it on the working window switches and the non-working window switches to see if that was the issue.

I meant it like see if the window switch on one particular door, well say the front passenger door, will raise and lower that particular window. Was thinkin that to try to eliminate some things, such as a window motor crapping out. The window switch is a three way switch, so its possible only one side stopped working. The lock/unlock switch on my driver door will only lock the doors, it wont unlock them.
Did the windows all of a sudden stop working, or was it a gradual thing where every once in a while they wouldnt work and then they completely stopped?
The clicking noise could just be the noise the switch makes when you puch it down... You might want to pull the door panel to see if something is jambed up or loose in there. And with the panel off you can check the switch to see if its still good

When you say there is a clicking sound is it a single click or continuous while you're holding the switch down? If the window motor is anything like a lot of the other motors in the Explorer it has a plastic gear train in it and they can and do break one or more teeth.

I've carefully looked at the power window wiring diagram and don't see any way a failure in wiring would affect only the front windows. Fuse 5 (30 amp) in the Power Distribution Box under the hood supplies power to all 4 windows.

It seems both quitting at the same time is a coincidence. The most likely causes are the window switches followed by the window motors. Assuming they're isn't any serious binding of the window mechanical mechanisms.

This link http://www.youtube.com/v/z8UfSotzIiA?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata shows a video describing removing the door panel and the window going up and down under power. You may be able to manually raise the window. Watch the mechanism and you will see where to grab the window assembly and push it up. It's going to be stiff because you'll be working against the power motor and it's geartrain.

If you later determine the motor is bad the rest of the video shows you how to remove the regulator with its motor.

I had a similar problem before on the driver side, the solution was a relay on the front in the fuse box next to the engine. when i check the relay with a multimeter the the coil that activates the relay was bad. Install a nex relay and fix the problem
:)

Back