• Register Today It's free!

Power window stopped working...

danwaters

Reaction score
City, State
Fallbrook, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 limited
My passenger side power window stopped working. So my question is whether it is the switch or the motor or possibly anything else. My first guess was the motor because the window will not roll up from the panel at the drivers door or at the panel of the window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked all your fuses?

If the fuses are good, pull the door panel, and unplug the wiring harness Hook a battery directly to the motor and see if the motor runs that way. If so, it's either a switch, or a bad wire somewhere in the system. If not, replace your motor first then try again.

It is either one of those but I would lean towards the switch because I already had a power lock switch die, plucked one from the wreckers for free. The motors should last a lifetime but the switches often get water damaged from drinks in the car and opening your door in the rain. I had my #1 button on the keylock go down due to water damage and corrosion and I repaired it by making a trace.

I assume you checked the fuse first

Check the wires in the driver door pass-thru canister inside the doorjamb. That is a popular place for some wiring fail.

It would not work every once in a while but cycling the button for a minute or so would then yield to the window working. If the fuse was out then it would be only one window not working. I haven't had time to pull the door panel yet to check power to the switch, but it doesn't work to the main control switch on the driver door either so that's what is throwing me for a loop.

well, the master window controls have to "go thru" the controls at the particular window sooooo... the master control not working doesn't really tell you much.... BUT a multimeter might. Check for power and grounds at the switch and track from there. Sounds like a bad switch to me. There ain't a fuse/window so its not a fuse problem.

well, the master window controls have to "go thru" the controls at the particular window sooooo... the master control not working doesn't really tell you much.... BUT a multimeter might. Check for power and grounds at the switch and track from there. Sounds like a bad switch to me. There ain't a fuse/window so its not a fuse problem.

Ya I knew there wasn't a fuse at each switch so I ruled that out immediately. I am going to put a meter on it tomorrow and see if I cant track it down.

Back