Front yoke exploded. Which yoke should I get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front yoke exploded. Which yoke should I get?

UWBadgers27

Reaction score
City, State
Menomonee Falls, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport with the BW 1354 with the front CV joint flange. I swapped in a 93 mazda navajo 1354 with a u joint front yoke. The yoke was so shallow on the non bearing cap side (if you understand what I'm saying) that the drive shaft would hit the yoke because of the angle of the drive shaft. So I ground it out and it cleared and then the yoke just shattered to pieces.

I looked at the pinion yoke on my dana 30 I have in the front and the non bearing cap part of the yoke is way deeper then the 1354 yoke. Is there an after market yokes I can get that are made for the steeper angle of the drive shaft so it doesn't hit the yoke? I've heard that D44 pinion yokes work but some people say the BW 1354 is 26 spline or 29 spline or ??? spline. I just want a straight answer.

So what should I buy? Need to order it by tomorrow. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were you running a single U-joint at the T-case or a double-cardan? You should have more clearance at the "non bearing cap side" with a D-C.

I just have the single u joint. I'm afraid if I went double cardon that my drive shaft would be to LONG. I just had it lengthened to fit under my truck.

Do they make any after market front yokes for the BW 1354? If they do that's what i'll go with but I'm having a tough time finding one.

Could I put the rear yoke of a BW 1350 in the front of my BW 1354? It looks like they have alot of after market yokes that could possibly clear that drive shaft

Do they make any after market front yokes for the BW 1354? If they do that's what i'll go with but I'm having a tough time finding one.

Probably not.

So can I put a rear yoke from a 1350 into the front output on my 1354?

They're a 26 spline count right?

Could I put the rear yoke of a BW 1350 in the front of my BW 1354? It looks like they have alot of after market yokes that could possibly clear that drive shaft

You sure they are for the BW1350 T-case and not for a 1350 U-joint?

Yes the 1350 and 1354 have the same spline. A rear yoke or flange will fit the front of a 13-54.

4x4junkie is talking about the 1350 STX case. They only came in 87-89 Ranger STX high-riders. Dont worry about them.

I dont know. Maybe someone else has tried it.

Back