Frustrated New Member | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frustrated New Member

Probably has the "Certified Preowned" badge on it and back up for sell because they certified they fixed the issue... like they did for the person that bought it in the first place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was listening to npr radio last night, guys be careful... Was hearing about toyota s getting stuck on and in full throttle in drive can't stop killing like 90 people look up toyota accelerator scandal... Omg this is like the ford park scandal how scary... I was talking to a tow truck driver he said he picks up brand new cars every day never the old ones...he said it's mostly computer problems... Idk about trusting the computer enough to risk my life for it my next car will be cable throttle.

Dodge had the park issue as well and toyotas have had the throttle problem on and off since the 90s!

Is there some data to suggest that first year models have higher % of lemons?
Is not a secret that as a model gets older it gets fixed for a lot of stuff, this is not a 100% accurate as I´ve seen latest 6th gen explorer with traits that are supposed to be fixed, but my guess is they are far fewer problems. So it would be safer to wait 2 or 3 years into a new model?

On the other hand I would think a lemon would be resold to another owner after a fix just because everybody drives different and maybe the new owner's type of driving won´t trigger the problem or the new owner won´t even notice it, so they gamble on that. Of course, the problem described by the OP is plain simple unacceptable and dangerous. By the way I´m not defending car manufacturers or dealers in any way, just trying to guess their way of thinking...

Is there some data to suggest that first year models have higher % of lemons?
Is not a secret that as a model gets older it gets fixed for a lot of stuff, this is not a 100% accurate as I´ve seen latest 6th gen explorer with traits that are supposed to be fixed, but my guess is they are far fewer problems. So it would be safer to wait 2 or 3 years into a new model?

On the other hand I would think a lemon would be resold to another owner after a fix just because everybody drives different and maybe the new owner's type of driving won´t trigger the problem or the new owner won´t even notice it, so they gamble on that. Of course, the problem described by the OP is plain simple unacceptable and dangerous. By the way I´m not defending car manufacturers or dealers in any way, just trying to guess their way of thinking...

Ive always been told the first year normally tends to have more issues especially if its a brand new design with little/no commonality from the previous model year (as an example 2010-2011 Explorer), not so much if its a refresh (examples that come to mind are the 95-97 Jeep Cherokee, 1997-1998 Ford Ranger)

Ive always been told the first year normally tends to have more issues especially if its a brand new design with little/no commonality from the previous model year (as an example 2010-2011 Explorer), not so much if its a refresh (examples that come to mind are the 95-97 Jeep Cherokee, 1997-1998 Ford Ranger)
I agree with this. One they come out with a new model that is really a old model those seems to be up to par. As in my 01 Mazda B3000 DS has the new body style (for those years) But it has the older model v6 in it that still has the aluminum intake not the plastic so its just new skin on the best and last version of its drive train so to speak. But the year after that the new plastic intakes came out and they had warping issues plastic thermostat housing broke ect ect but my 06 mounty that has that variation of that v6 does not have any of those issues, not saying none of them do but theres less chance of it. I hope that made some sort of sense haha

Not to hijack but just a random question, when something like that is bought back, does Ford (or any manufacturer) typically try to fix the problems then resell as a used preowned or just tear down the whole vehicle and use what they can for other vehicle?
@AndoAv8R

If a Ford Buy Back occurs in a State where a vehicle and its title are branded a Lemon, some States will not allow the resale of a Lemon by law.

Ford’s way around this is to use a closed auction process - pick up the vehicle, move it to a State where it can be resold, repair it and throw it on a Ford Dealer lot. After a Lemon is initially taken back, is when it goes to auction, but must be bought by an in-network Ford Dealership buyer from a different State IF it cannot be sold in a State that prohibits the sale or resale of a Lemon’d vehicle.

For those that don’t know, Ford also gives the Dealership who is facilitating the initial Lemon transaction money for taking the collateral back.

8A3859F1-35D7-4545-8AF4-BF8125CBC97A.jpeg

RAV Buy Backs are never CPO... they are Lemons, whether the Buy Back was a collateral swap or a complete refund to satisfy the prior owner’s displeasure and exit from a problematic vehicle. In order for Ford to have that car back on their lot, it has to be repaired and there has to be a document that outlined what was repaired.

Ford is not loosing money on RAV Buy Backs.

If the car is indeed a Ford RAV Buy Back Lemon, on the driver side B-pillar, below the original VCL there will be a label stating the car was a Ford RAV Buy Back.
3622F192-0D6D-4640-A50D-CF5144239F30.jpeg

That RAV decal would have been placed on the car after it went through the Ford BuyBack process and before it’s returned to Ford Inventory. It is to remain on the car indefinitely.

After the Lemon is put back into FORD Inventory for retail sale, the car would have to be advertised as a Lemon and would have the appropriate labeling in ANY advertisement of the vehicle. The first Ford retail customer buying it (after being a Lemon), that retail buyer would have had to sign off on any Ford RAV paperwork informing them that they are buying a vehicle that was involved in a Ford RAV Lemon Buy Back.

Period.

And lastly - ANY vehicle that has been deemed a Lemon through any Vehicle Manufacturer Buy Back process - that vehicle’s VIN is marked for eternity as a Lemon. It’s flagged in the Vehicle Manufacturer’s systems, it’s flagged in any DMV system and the same will show on any type of vehicle VIN report. It’s not so much the “title” being marked as a Lemon - the VIN to that vehicle is tagged. Once that VIN has any Lemon history attached to it - it follows the vehicle everywhere.

Ford OASIS and ETIS are Ford Dealership systems only. When a VIN is input into it, it reveals any Warranty history, any maintenance or repair history (non-warranty) if that vehicle was serviced at any Ford Dealership AND it also notes any RAV Buy Back history (if applicable).

In lemon laws it is usually 3 or more issues for the same thing that results in a buyback.

The F150s are built in Dearborn plant and they all have been well built. The Chicago factory where these come from I am not sure what is happening. Makes me wonder if they care more about the premium brand Lincolns because the Aviator runs off the same plant and maybe they spend more time on them or care about them more since they seem to not have these issues.

I would run away from any Lemon law vehicle

@AndoAv8R

If a Ford Buy Back occurs in a State where a vehicle and its title are branded a Lemon, some States will not allow the resale of a Lemon by law.

Ford’s way around this is to use a closed auction process - pick up the vehicle, move it to a State where it can be resold, repair it and throw it on a Ford Dealer lot. After a Lemon is initially taken back, is when it goes to auction, but must be bought by an in-network Ford Dealership buyer from a different State IF it cannot be sold in a State that prohibits the sale or resale of a Lemon’d vehicle.

For those that don’t know, Ford also gives the Dealership who is facilitating the initial Lemon transaction money for taking the collateral back.

View attachment 326554

RAV Buy Backs are never CPO... they are Lemons, whether the Buy Back was a collateral swap or a complete refund to satisfy the prior owner’s displeasure and exit from a problematic vehicle. In order for Ford to have that car back on their lot, it has to be repaired and there has to be a document that outlined what was repaired.

Ford is not loosing money on RAV Buy Backs.

If the car is indeed a Ford RAV Buy Back Lemon, on the driver side B-pillar, below the original VCL there will be a label stating the car was a Ford RAV Buy Back.
View attachment 326556

That RAV decal would have been placed on the car after it went through the Ford BuyBack process and before it’s returned to Ford Inventory. It is to remain on the car indefinitely.

After the Lemon is put back into FORD Inventory for retail sale, the car would have to be advertised as a Lemon and would have the appropriate labeling in ANY advertisement of the vehicle. The first Ford retail customer buying it (after being a Lemon), that retail buyer would have had to sign off on any Ford RAV paperwork informing them that they are buying a vehicle that was involved in a Ford RAV Lemon Buy Back.

Period.

And lastly - ANY vehicle that has been deemed a Lemon through any Vehicle Manufacturer Buy Back process - that vehicle’s VIN is marked for eternity as a Lemon. It’s flagged in the Vehicle Manufacturer’s systems, it’s flagged in any DMV system and the same will show on any type of vehicle VIN report. It’s not so much the “title” being marked as a Lemon - the VIN to that vehicle is tagged. Once that VIN has any Lemon history attached to it - it follows the vehicle everywhere.

Ford OASIS and ETIS are Ford Dealership systems only. When a VIN is input into it, it reveals any Warranty history, any maintenance or repair history (non-warranty) if that vehicle was serviced at any Ford Dealership AND it also notes any RAV Buy Back history (if applicable).

Wow, that is scary stuff, need to be careful when buying a vehicle, thanks for sharing.

In lemon laws it is usually 3 or more issues for the same thing that results in a buyback.

The F150s are built in Dearborn plant and they all have been well built. The Chicago factory where these come from I am not sure what is happening. Makes me wonder if they care more about the premium brand Lincolns because the Aviator runs off the same plant and maybe they spend more time on them or care about them more since they seem to not have these issues.

I would run away from any Lemon law vehicle
It’s probably not that they have less percentage of problems, there are just less of them sold.

I was involved in a buy back because my 2020 Ford Explorer had been back and forth about 4 times at dealer for check Engine light.The dealership couldn't figure what was wrong on top of front end noise crackling when doing highway speed ,This process took me 3 months of back and forth with Cooperate and finally qualified for lemon law. I am now driving a Lincoln Nautilus 2020 AWD 2.7 T.I got my down payment back as well as my lease payments 10 months worth.

Back