Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, how hard would it be for a novice to do the manual transmission swap in a 95 xlt in your opinion?

Looking at doing one to mine when I get since it has 222x miles on stock auto. :(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks real good

would like to put straight axles front and rear with four bar suspension on my 92 full size bronco, does anyone know if there is a vendor kit avialable thanks Chuck

Looks good, how hard would it be for a novice to do the manual transmission swap in a 95 xlt in your opinion?

Looking at doing one to mine when I get since it has 222x miles on stock auto. :(

Its pretty simple in my opinion. Just unbolt the old and bolt in the new. Dont have to make anything or do any modifications to anything.

Provisions in the body are already there for a manual if it's a factory automatic?

Provisions in the body are already there for a manual if it's a factory automatic?

Yes there is a plate right on the transmission tunnel if you lift up the carpet you will see it. You can get one of those from a manual truck.

Sweet thanks.

Ordered a 3" body lift and I got a deal worked out on a 4.56 for the rear. Getting closer to some 33's.

Still need to find me a locker for the rear and some install kits then save for tires.

Got a body lift from the UPS man today. Ill probably get it put on this weekend.

Bodylift.jpg

Got the 4.56 gears for the front and rear on the way. Now I just need to find me a locker for the rear and then save for some bigger meats.

Finished up the body lift today for the most part since I had the day off.

Only broke off one of the stock body bolts and the bushing would not come apart to save it life so I could get the broke bolt out. So I had to cut it in half to get it out. Managed to save it and reuse it with a little fix. I cut a piece off a 4/2 deep well socket to go on the underside to keep the lower bushing from being crushed when you tighten it down since the stock pieces were all rusted together.

Couldnt get the steering shaft to come apart so I figured I would try it without the extension and its fine. No binding or anything at all.

Here is the pieces that go on the bottom side that are rusted together.
bodyliftinstalled3.jpg

My fix.
bodyliftinstalled4.jpg

bodyliftinstalled5.jpg

Body lift on.
bodyliftinstalled6.jpg

bodyliftinstalled7.jpg

bodyliftinstalled.jpg

Now I need to get a shifter extension and extend the t-case shifter somehow also. Also need to find a way to mount the trailer hitch up higher so it doesnt hang as low now.

Also picked up a tag frame off here.
bodyliftinstalled2.jpg

lookin good

Got the shifters extended.

Didnt want to pay the $40 for the shifter extension and I had a few spare shifter pivot ball deals that go into the tranny so I cut the inches off one of the and welded to the top of the stock one. I had to grind the big ball off of it though. It may not be pretty but you cant see it and it works great and was free.

For the t-case shifter I just cut it in half and welded in a 3 inch piece between it.

Tranny shifter
bodyliftshifters3.jpg

T-case shifter
bodyliftshifters2.jpg

Now the shifters are back in the stock locations. Cant tell a difference from the inside.
bodyliftshifters.jpg

Geez! Makes me realize just how slow I'm going on mine! Great build! I love that you've gotten everything "on the cheap". Congrats on a great X so far!

Figured I would go try it out in some mud today. Did decent just needs bigger tires.

First time I got stuck i made it about half way across and it high centerd and I got it backed out and figured what the hell ill give it another try. Made it just about out and the front and rear diffs were bulldozing mud the whole way. Little tug with the winch got it right out. Something with with decent size tires has been playing in that hole.

gears5.jpg

gears6.jpg

Then later on I was following a trail then the stopped before little creek no more tracks. Got out and looked and it wasnt real deep or anything and felt pretty solid so I figured what the hell Ill give it a try. Figured I needed to try the winch out anyway. So I made sure there was a tree to hook it up to and gave it a try. Made it just about into the edge of the creek and it sunk to the diffs. Ground was super soft. Hooked the winch up and pulled it right on through with no problems.

gears9.jpg

gears10.jpg

gears.jpg

So far I like the Smittybilt winch great. I would definitely recommend it to anybody. Now I just need some bigger tires.

Also got my gears this past week.

8.8 4.56
gears2.jpg

D35 4.56
gears3.jpg

Difference in 8.8 and d35 ring gear.
gears4.jpg

My Aussie locker is supposed to ship out one day this coming week so Ill have the gears and rear locker put in before to much longer. Then Just save up for some bigger tires.

Got a the new black grill, headlight surrounds, and some new clear front lights put on just a little bit ago. Now I need some new headlights. Probably going to niteshade a set of rears since I cant find a set of clears anywhere.

grill.jpg

grill3.jpg

grill2.jpg

Also got my install kit for the 8.8 today. Front install kit should be here nest Tuesday and the locker should be shipping out one day this week. So I am getting closer to getting the 4.56's in.

Now I am thinking of skipping the 33's and putting on a 4" suspension lift and going with 35's.

Back