• Register Today It's free!

Frustrating: NEW problem

mrbarnard

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
My 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd has been non-stop frustration, and today there is an entirely new problem: NO ELECTRICAL.

The battery is new and charged, but there is no electrical whatsoever: no dim lights, no clicking starter, nothing.

What might be a logical problem (such as a main fuse??) that would suddenly cut off all electrical?

The vehicle was running good the day before.

Fusible link.

Inline fuse on the battery cable feed to the power distribution block.

There are more than one of these on the vehicle; all are near the power distribution block. Some are smaller than this one.

Bust out your multimeter and start checking for power at the distribution block, And double check your battery cables.

3376-4889-97901_zps54c61e81.jpg

It's likely the fusable link but make sure your connections on the battery are tight and clean. Had the same symptom on another car and everything came back after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery. Just happened one day, after years of nobody touching the battery or it's cables.

FINALLY got electrical back. Not sure WHICH thing I did was the successful thing. The fusible link on a 92 Ford Explorer is supposed to be in line between battery and alternator, over the top of the engine, so I replaced that cable. I also cleaned all battery cables. I also found a 20 amp fuse near -- but not inline with -- the battery and replaced it. Anyway, whatever, it has electrical again.

Back