• Register Today It's free!

fuel cell?

mattTN

Reaction score
City, State
knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,Eddie Bauer
I'm wondering what I can do with my gas tank. I dont like how it is sitting low and parallel to the driveline. Since I run a 36in tire, there is no way to put a spare under my truck. Where the original spare goes is just empty space.I have a 3in body lift so I actually have a whole bunch of space. I was thinking I could cut out the origional spare tire bracketry under my X and put a fuel cell in using some custom brackets. Summint Racing sells a 16gallon polyethylene cell that measures 25x17x9. If you think about it, I think it would work perfectly. Now my real question is how hard would it be to wire a new sending unit to your origional fuel gauge and how do I connect the origional metal fuel lines to the fuel cell pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I don't think you can just have a Fuel Cell in addition to your gas tank. Fuel Cell engines are very differant compared to a gasoline engine.

That would be cool to have a fuel cell in the X. Here's some advice from experience...

DON'T buy the ones with the foam in it. The foam will break down and plug up your fuel system, if you don't replace it every year. Don't get the ones with the bladders either.

Buy one with the sending unit preinstalled. It will make it MUCH easier to have a fuel gauge. They are more expensive, and do make them for the ford sending units. You might have to call for the specific part #.

An external fuel pump may be necessary, because the factory pump is located in the tank. There are many manufacturers that have pumps that will work for the X.

It might be difficult to fill it, or to setup a filler system. Usually, they are filled from the top.

Hope this helps!
-Brad

Not a fuel cell, but a fuel cell...

KEbert, the fuel cell they are talking about is just a special type of gas tank. It's not an energy producing device like you're thinking of. A true fuel cell would actually use electric motors, not an engine, since a fuel cell produces electricity. In place of the engine would probably be a hydrogen tank.

The fuel cells they're talking about are just plastic containers commonly used inrace cars, etc. The foam ones have the foam in them to keep the fuel from sloshing around. Good for oval track racing and such. I think that mattTN just wants the extra gasoline capacity.

according to his post he wants to eliminate the stock tank altogeter and just use the fuel cell....

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO TAKE A STAB AT THIS!!!!!
First you have 3 options #1 you can take out you tank and mount a fuel cell in the trunk where it is well out of the way of rocks and stuff. #2 remove your current tank and install a fuel cell in its place then wire in a another fuel pump (very expensive) #3 keep your tank and mount a fuel cell where your spare tire was and rig up a in line pump (real cheap) and connect the cell to your origanal tank with a length of fuel line so when your main tank gets low you fill it from your reserve cell, P.S. Autometer sells all kinds of gauges for fuel tanks

secodary tank

Hotweels touched on what I was gonna suggest.. my Dad had a 50 gal. tank in the back of his Nissan with an inline pump, when the stock tank runs low he would just transfer from the backup..
I seen him drive from Eugene OR to Carlsbad NM without stoppin for fuel.. hmm.. I always wanted more range.. hehe

Back