• Register Today It's free!

Fuel consumption 19MPG

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I have read a few threads on Fuel consumption on this forum and just out of interest I crunched some numbers and came up with a figure of about 17.5-19MPG for myself.

Reading what some of the others on this site are getting I thought this was fairly good from a truck that has not been set up to try and achieve good consumption.

The explorer is currently on 124,000 kilometres and is still running original plug’s and wirers I have added a K&N Filter + slight intake mod+ Exhaust (So nothing special on that front) apart from that It’s Lifted 2-inch, running slightly bigger tyres and has a full Bull bar (Not safari bar) a proper Bull bar, Spotlight’s and side step’s. So if anything it is now less aerodynamic, it also feed’s on 91 Octane Petrol Or (Gas as you say).

I Just drive it normally and it still hit’s the 5500rpm mark a few times during the week as well (I’m 21), normally hit’s between 2500-3500 on normal acceleration, when at speed sits anywhere between 1500-2200RPM depending on speed.

So do I just have an abnormal explore that is Acceptable on fuel or what, if I really started babying it around I wonder what I could get.

Rear Axle is a 3.73LSD and it is a 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats real good for a truck with that mych stuff on it. Just curious how much is gas there in us currency?

Well currently up the street it is $1.19 Per Litre, in Northern WA it is around $1.25- $1.55, and in some remote arias it’s can be $2 plus per litre.

For example Kalgoorlie which is 600k’s or 340miles North/East from me (Still Easily in WA But) is about $1.39 and Broom which is 2000k’s north 1300Miles (Once agene still in WA) fuel is about $1.45

I live in Perth, Western Australia, so not sure about price over east.

It’s about 3.6Litres to the gallon
So about AUS$4.2 a Gallon and $1U.S is= to $0.70AUS.

So I just payed $4.2 a gallon Australian up the street.

I think that is right I am a little rusty on conversions but it is around the $4 Australian per gallon mark at the cheapest.

Let’s correct that error $1 Australian is = to $0.70 U.S dollars

mine with a 31" tires and full system gets between 17 to 19 mpg. thats not being easy on it at all ;) . mine just rolled over 182,000 miles. that using 89 octane. it has a cone fitler and free flowing muffler.

Did you take into account the fact that you have the larger tires that will alter the speedometer and odometer?

Yes, The Speedo is now almost correct, like when I am doing 60 my real speed is 59 that is going of a GPS.

Back