• Register Today It's free!

Fuel door hard to open

chippa_t

Reaction score
City, State
Lansdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Anyone else have to press their fuel door hard for it to shut/open. When I do it lightly it doesn’t click.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else have to press their fuel door hard for it to shut/open. When I do it lightly it doesn’t click. Every time

You should need to push fairly firm for the rubber gasket to seal when fully closed.

Anyone else have to press their fuel door hard for it to shut/open. When I do it lightly it doesn’t click. Every time
See the post above yours. :D

I really wish Ford used a cabin release for the fuel door. Even though the capless system is nice, I‘d still prefer an additional level of protection.

I've also noticed I have to push it in just the right spot or it won't catch/unlatch

I've also noticed I have to push it in just the right spot or it won't catch/unlatch
Pretty much have to apply pressure where you know the latch is located as the plastic door is rather flexible.

Yeah kept feeling like i was gonna dent the thing but got the hang of it.

I don't have any issues opening or closing the fuel door however this is surprising!
My fuel door literally slid off the metal hinge and into my hands today.
I opened it and was wiping it off after the car wash and it slide off the hinge part very easily. If there is a locking clip, mine doesn't have it. It stays in place once closed but easily slides off the hinge when it's open.
Anyone else have a fuel door that slides off?

Congratulation Pedro! Another first reported issue. I've never really looked that closely to see how the door is attached but would NOT consider this normal, regardless of what a dealer may say. ;)

Peter

I don't have any issues opening or closing the fuel door however this is surprising!
My fuel door literally slid off the metal hinge and into my hands today.
I opened it and was wiping it off after the car wash and it slide off the hinge part very easily. If there is a locking clip, mine doesn't have it. It stays in place once closed but easily slides off the hinge when it's open.
Anyone else have a fuel door that slides off?

I just looked at mine and I'm guessing the clip in the center on the inside it the retainer. I didn't try to remove it but that was the only thing I could see,
InkedFuelDoor_LI.jpg

Congratulation Pedro! Another first reported issue. I've never really looked that closely to see how the door is attached but would NOT consider this normal, regardless of what a dealer may say. ;)

Peter
Peter,
For myself it's now a game of what's my Explorer going to suprise me with today. I've learned to laugh at myself and the vehicle more and more since taking ownership last September. I'm impressed with the many aspects and driving in two recent snow events revealed the vehicles competence in very difficult road conditions. To the extent I'm a bit odd, so is my Explorer, guess that makes for a great partnership!

Today I bent the tab on the black fuel door base plate inward and reinserted the white fuel door cover.
Everything locked into place nicely.

IMG_9637.JPEG IMG_9638.JPEG IMG_9639.JPEG

Back