• Register Today It's free!

Fuel economy question

UKPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Adrenalin
My new to me Adrenalin did 18mpg on a highway run today. 110 km/h, no real wind to speak of.

Is this normal?

What are you guys getting from your 4.6 L's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I usually get 27 on highway, I drive 55. 11 gallons in 300 miles.

They are rated at 19 mpg highway so I'd say getting 18 is within the realm of normal.

Thanks for the input guys :)

I did pick up 3 mpg on the highway with the cat-back exhaust. Mine will get 22 mpg if the road is level and I keep it under 70 mph. City mpg is no different than before.

Ha! I wish I got those numbers...07 XLT 4.6L 4x4
Highway speeds (70-80 mph) - around 17 mpg
Rural speeds (55-60 mph) - around 22 mpg
City speeds and commute (10-50 mph) average 15.2 mpg

I find 27mpg very hard to believe.. maybe 11 gallons in 300 miles, all down a mountain, with a tailwind?

I have been averaging around 16-17 lately, and i drive conservatively. I just installed a Gibson 3" catback and haven't noticed a change in mpg numbers yet, still hoping i will get a little gain..

300 miles in 11 gallons is 27 mpg.
I drive from zip code 90706 to 95370 once a month.
I fill up in Bellflower and top off in Henderson each trip which is right at 300 miles. I have one big pass at 5000 feet (the grape vine), I drive with a very light foot. A lot of truckers pass me but once in a while I find a slow one to follow. If I am in a hurry and drive it at 70 to 80 with the traffic flow I get 17 miles a gallon.

I really do not care if anyone believes me. I know our trucks can do it.

I find 27mpg very hard to believe.. maybe 11 gallons in 300 miles, all down a mountain, with a tailwind?

He said above that he gets 27 mpg by going 55 mph. If you go that slow then 27 is doable. If I reset the mpg thingy when I leave my office, I am on a two-lane road for 8 miles where the speed limit is. On that stretch I can see 27 to 30 mpg.

you betcha...they will do it with a light pedal

you betcha...they will do it with a light pedal

I think the mechanicals are fairly efficient, it's just that the wind resistance is horrendous so mpg drops dramatically as you speed up. I've tested this on the PA Turnpike when driving between my offices. If I go 65 between the toll booths, about a 20 mile stretch, I'll get 21-22 mpg. If I go 80 (I have a radar detector) it drops to 16 mpg.

For several years the base Mustang had the same 4.0 V6 and got much better mileage because it's lighter and much more aerodynamic.

I am a fairly aggressive driver. I drive a mix of hwy/city for 32 miles one way to work and generally get 18 - 19mpg. I did a trip to Florida down I-95 and got 24mpg at 80+mph. My 4.6 gets better gas milage than the '05 4.0 Sport Trac. I do get better mpg in my '05 Mustang GT, but that has to do with weight and areodynamics.

My 02 and 05 tracs did good to get 20mpg. However in both vehicles I had the 4.10 gear( I wanted the locking rear end and that was the only gear option). My 08 trac is excellent considering the aerodynamics of a brick...mid 20's is the norm for us on the hwy. Now if you want performance and gas mileage, our 11 Mustang GT/CS with the new 5.0 and auto , will knock down 28- 30 mpg runnig 75 -80 mph....love it....

Back