• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter change

jakeamondo

Reaction score
City, State
Somers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer 4.0/ '07 XLT
Previously i posted a comment about about how i solved a misfire on cylinder 6 by having my fuel filter changed on my 2007 XLT 4.0 engine. It happened again, now i have multiple codes indicating random misfire cylinders 4,5,6. My health has improved so I'm back to do doing my own work. I will post a comment on leaking thermostat housings next so you will understand why I am back to doing my own work. Anyway the fuel filter is a pita to do without a lift, but not impossible. I found a great YouTube video that will show you what your up against. This is a dangerous procedure to do without a lift. You have to jack the right side up to get access and need a light source to see what your doing. If you decide to do it make sure you at least use a jack stand in addition to whatever jack you have and a light source that is safe around gasoline (explosion proof). You will be on your back, so position yourself far enough forward so the gas doesn't spill in your face. Even after relieving the fuel pressure there will be a substantial gas spill. Use a rag when separating the filter from the fuel line to prevent the gas from running up your arm. I was able to disconnect the inertia switch without taking the scuff plate apart, i just pulled the plastic cover out from the front exposing the switch. I was more concerned about the hidden clips holding the scuff plate breaking. The heat shield and bracket are simple to remove 13mm and 10mm socket are all you need. The clips on the filter are only difficult if you don't have a lift, because in my case i could only use my right hand otherwise i would have had to lift the car much higher. The outlet clip is easy the inlet (red clip) is a little difficult. I used a piece of wire to pull the filter towards me and then used a needle nose pliers to open it. I gently position one jaw under the bottom of the clip and the other above the clip and squeezed them together, it pops right open The clip release is V shaped with the open part facing out, the lower part has to be squeezed in to release the clip. the upper part is hinged and will swing up after you squeeze the lower part. The attached link/video will clarify things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5IKl2QKGI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trying to change my fuel filter and pulled the relay to relieve fuel pressure. it didn't work the car kept running. or am I just not waiting long enough?

There is a pretty good amount of fuel in the lines so it didn't run long enough to starve itself.

Did it twice I believe so.

Mine would die after 2-3 seconds.

Make sure you pull the right fuse.

Or unplug the fuel pump shutoff (inertia) switch by next to the passenger side kick panel.

av0619a.gif

Replaced the fuel filter last night on my 07 XLT 4.0. I pulled the fuse under the hood for the fuel pump to relieve the pressure in the line. It took a while to figure out those clips on the lines, but now that I have done it once it will be much easier next time. Oh it would be nice to have access to a lift.... I would be a lot less sore today if I did. :D

That's why I paid the local mechanic $200 to replace my spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Saved me a headache and a whole lot of swearing.

That's why I paid the local mechanic $200 to replace my spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Saved me a headache and a whole lot of swearing.

$200 George Washingtons!!!! Wow! Did he bend you over and #### you while he was at it? Vehicle repairs are such a rip off these days. Had my tranny flushed at a Ford Dealer once and they tried telling me my engine oil was very dirty and recommended a change- even though I changed it only 2,000 miles ago. Their oil changes are like $80! So I declined, and when I got it back I took a white cloth and wiped the dipstick, almost as clean as new oil.

AmbrosiaB, the vehicle should run a couple of seconds at most after pulling the fuel pump fuse, mine didn't start at all. I replaced my fuel filter in a hotel parking lot when I was on the road, the plastic clips are a crappy design but are not that difficult. In my opinion it should be a regular line connection with B-nuts. Would be much easier and straight forward.

Have not had the pleasure of a spark plug change yet as my Ex hasn't hit 100k yet. Here's something I recommend you do when changing the fuel filter. When disconnecting each line, have a clear cup to drain the fuel in. Drain the inlet side of the filter in the cup that caught the fuel from the inlet line and do the same for the outlet. This way you can see how good of a job the filter was doing. If the fuel from the inlet was really dirty, its probably time for a fuel tank cleaning.

yeah $200 Benjamin's. i know i got it handed to me, but having to small kids all up in my business when i try to change the oil is bad enough. i figure $200 was worth the headache saved.

i know i got it handed to me, but having to small kids all up in my business when i try to change the oil is bad enough.

lol. Thats why you teach them how to do it, so they can do it next time, haha

lol. Thats why you teach them how to do it, so they can do it next time, haha

Lol! yeah hopefully my son who is almost 4 will pick up on stuff as he gets older. for now its cars, guns(toy) and robots that entertains him.

Back